Pixabay NEW YORK — Anticipating a wave of mail-in voting this fall, New York state will now give voters a chance to correct missing signatures and other clerical errors so their absentee ballots can be counted, but the exact provisions haven’t yet been made public after last-minute negotiations between Gov. Andrew Cuomo and lawmakers.Cuomo said late Friday he’d sign, yet temporarily tweak, legislation that calls for notifying voters about such problems and provides for fixing them.Under the version that passed the Legislature last month, the voter would have seven business days to file a form to fix the problem after a notice was mailed, in many situations.Cuomo, a Democrat, said he agreed voters should be able to correct inadvertent mistakes that would otherwise invalidate their mail-in votes. But he said the Legislature’s plan came too close to the Nov. 3 presidential election, requiring a series of notifications and mailings that would overtax election officials. “New York must balance the right to vote with the need to ensure a timely, seamless and operationally sound election that leaves no doubt as to its outcome,” he wrote in a memo, saying he and lawmakers had agreed on “temporary modifications” that would give voters an opportunity to correct slip-ups “without relying so heavily on an already burdened mail system.”The original legislation will take effect after November, Cuomo’s memo said.His memo didn’t give further details on the temporary changes, saying they’d be made in an executive order and possibly in further legislation.A message was sent Saturday morning to Cuomo’s office seeking further details.The sponsor of the original legislation, Sen. Zellnor Myrie, didn’t immediately provide further information on the temporary changes. But Myrie said he was pleased that voters would get some opportunity to correct minor mistakes that have disqualified many ballots in the past.“By enacting these changes, we are ensuring the law stands firmly on the side of voters exercising their rights,” the Brooklyn Democrat said in a statement.The fast-moving developments came after Cuomo on Thursday signed legislation that eases mail-in voting by allowing voters to cite the coronavirus pandemic as a reason for seeking an absentee ballot this year.Voters were allowed to cast absentee ballots in the June primary because of virus concerns, and nearly 40% of votes were cast by mail — typically, it’s fewer than 10% in New York. The state’s relatively restrictive rules usually allow voters to request absentee ballots only if they fall into one of several categories, including absence from one’s county on Election Day.The state’s new legislation comes amid concerns about a potential resurgence this fall of the virus that causes COVID-19. At the same time, the state is keen to avoid a repeat of mailing delays and other issues that plagued the June primary, when an unknown number of voters didn’t get ballots until Election Day or after. But cost-cutting at the United States Postal Service has raised questions about its ability to handle a deluge of mail-in ballots.Election officials are expecting an even bigger flood of mail-in votes in November than for the June primary, after which results were delayed for six weeks.Some state election officials have been calling for additional funding and time to process ballots this November, and they have warned that the measure allowing voters to fix ballot mistakes would fuel more delays. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
Dearborn County, In. — Visitors to Southeast Indiana can head outdoors this holiday season for some fun on the snow and ice. In addition to ice skating at Winter Wonderland, which opened last month, the Lawrenceburg-area downhill skiing facility Perfect North Slopes is now open for the 2017-18 season, offering winter recreation including skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing.An annual tradition in Lawrenceburg, the Winter Wonderland ice rink is located at Todd Creech Park in the city’s downtown. The covered outdoor ice rink offers a low $6 admission fee, with children 14-and-under admitted for $4 and those under 2 admitted free. Skate rental is included with admission. Regular rink hours are Tuesday-Thursday from 4-8pm; Friday from 4-9pm; Saturday from 12-9pm; and Sunday from 12-8pm. On Fri., December 22, the rink will be open from 12-7pm with a Teen Night from 7-10pm. The rink’s Christmas break hours (December 23-January 6) are 12-9pm. Skaters can visit on Christmas Eve from 12-3pm, and on New Year’s Eve from 12-6pm. The rink is closed on Mondays and on Christmas Day.At nearby Perfect North Slopes, visitors will find more than eighty acres of tree-lined trails and slopes, including a special tubing park designed just for snow tubers. The overall property includes 5 chair lifts, 6 carpet lifts, 22 trails and 2 terrain parks.Currently Perfect North is open for skiing and snowboarding, with snow tubing expected to be open later in the season. In addition to equipment rental and lessons for beginners, the property also offers special group rates, and an updated lodge with onsite Loft Shop and Chow Corral.On December 31, Perfect North will also once again host their annual New Year’s Eve Celebration on the slopes. In addition to skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing until midnight, attendees can enjoy party favors and a DJ in the lodge. Right before midnight, ski instructors and ski patrol members will glide down the darkened slopes in a torchlight parade – an annual tradition. There will also be a fireworks show starting at midnight.To learn more about visiting Southeast Indiana this winter, including links to area accommodations, restaurants, and events, log on to the official website of the Dearborn County Convention, Visitor & Tourism Bureau at www.visitsoutheastindiana.com or find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/visitsoutheastindiana.
The club’s team captains, Hazem Emam and Shikabala, have issued a statement to announce they will not continue the league.“We won’t go on the pitch before the coronavirus is gone and a cure is found,” Emam wrote on his Instagram account.“No-one can force us to risk our lives, especially after our teammate Mohamed Awad tested positive.“I want to inform you that as one of the team’s captains, my teammates and I won’t sacrifice our lives and the lives of our family members just to resume the league and please (rival club) Al Ahly and the people who support them.”So far, there are more than 22 cases in the league after tests were carried out on the players.Emam added in his Instagram post he would seek to raise the issue with the country’s president Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi should the league be resumed.“The players are ready to do whatever it takes even if it means meeting with his excellency the president to explain to him that the Egyptian FA is sacrificing the lives of his people, just to please a certain club,” he said.Zamalek President Mortada Mansour also announced his club’s withdrawal from the Egyptian Premier League after consulting with the first team coach Patrice Cateron.It remains unclear the consequences of Zamalek’s decision on the club’s representation at the CAF Champions League, with the five-time African champions are poised to face Morocco’s Raja Casablanca in the semi-final stage of the competition.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Players of Egyptian Premier League side Zamalek have refused to resume training or return to complete the current season unless “a cure for coronavirus is found.”Football activities in Egypt are due to return on 25 July after the government allowed teams to resume training this month – despite the growing spread of the virus in Egypt, with more than 66,000 confirmed cases.Zamalek’s refusal to resume the current campaign comes after the team’s goalkeeper Mohamed Awad revealed he had tested positive for coronavirus on 26 June.
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error The Dodgers got a compensatory first-round pick because they lost Greinke. That player turned out to be Smith, the 32nd player and third Cardinal in that draft.Who would you rather have now? Greinke has pitched admirably and is now with Houston, but he turns 36 in October.This is why you don’t trade players reflexively before their contracts expire. The Dodgers invested a lot in Greinke and used every drop, just as Cleveland is getting every kilowatt from shortstop Francisco Lindor.Now you hear desk-bound experts say the Indians should trade Lindor because his deal runs out in two years. Repeat, two years. Two years of All-Star play and leadership and maybe two playoff years as well.You heard the same unfathomable logic before the Angels gave Mike Trout his contract for life. When a star gets to the end and signs elsewhere, you also hear people say, “What a shame. They got nothing for him.” It was Dec. 4, 2015, and a short, chilly sunset. As darkness fell, the Arizona Diamondbacks triumphantly signed Zack Greinke to a six-year, $206 million contract and threw the Dodgers into reverse.Meanwhile, Will Smith was hitting caged baseballs and blocking bad pitches at the University of Louisville facility.He was a great-field, mediocre-hit catcher, heading into his junior draft year, hoping to pick up the slipstream from all the future pros in his clubhouse.It’s amazing how we long-jump to conclusions, and miss the pit. That’s not true. When Mark Teixeira left the Angels, they got a draft pick that became Trout, plus they picked up budget room. Early returns indicate that Smith will be throwing out runners and getting conclusive hits long after Greinke has joined someone’s front office.Smith has 26 RBIs and nine home runs in his first 23 major-league games, both franchise records, and has been an errorless catcher in 19 starts. He was not drafted in high school, even though he had an 0.78 ERA pitching for Kentucky Country Day in Louisville, and hit 11 home runs his senior year. He was an infielder then, and the story is that KCD coach Joe Maione wanted to save Smith from the catching wear-and-tear until college.“I liked throwing guys out,” Smith said. “At Louisville they had a couple of veteran catchers, but I still played 10-15 games my freshman year because they were trying to get me ready. The biggest adjustment was learning to block balls, and we had a catching instructor, and we had a 20 minute period every day where we worked on stuff like that.”Marty Lamb, the Dodgers area scout, did not see Smith in high school but visited Louisville often to see the likes of Corey Ray, Zack Burdi, Brandon McKay and Kyle Funkhouser. He noticed that a .242-hitting sophomore had become a .382-hitting junior. He saw Smith’s long home run against Wake Forest in the ACC tournament.“It’s the old scouting saying,” Lamb said. “If you see a guy do it once, you know it’s in there. He could always catch. I remember him picking a pitch off the ground and throwing out a guy at second, from his knees. A lot of scouts went in there to see other players, but Will was making himself noticed.”“I just had to break some bad habits,” Smith said. “I had to learn how to time the fastball better, not miss it when I got a chance. I’d had some highs and lows, and the lows were lasting too long. But I still felt like I was a good hitter, with a good feel for the strike zone.”Smith said he heard he might go in the “10th to the 20th round” when the year started, then the fifth to 10th, then second to third, and finally better than that. They call it “draft helium.” Sometimes it’s not to be trusted. Sometimes it finds a new horizon.The parents, Mark and Julie, are on the same high ride. They were at Dodger Stadium when Smith’s homer caused a win over Philadelphia.As Rick Bozich of WDRB.com told it, Julie spent part of her visit in an L.A. laundromat, washing Will’s clothes. The Smiths also recalled Will’s diligence, and the day when he caught 299 consecutive balls off a pitch-back device. But he dropped No. 300. Which meant he went back to No. 1.“He’s just a mature guy,” Lamb said. “He was up briefly in 2018, just so he could see what the major leagues were like, and after a while Justin Turner went up to (manager) Dave Roberts and said, ‘This guy gets it.’’’Another thing about jumpy conclusions: They’re not always wrong.RELATED:Will Smith leads Dodgers’ home run barrage in MiamiHow Dodgers catcher Will Smith emerged as two-way player after offseason workWhy Dodgers rookie Will Smith walked up to the ‘Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’ theme song
Share on: WhatsApp Kipchoge flew to the venue from Kenya last night on a chartered flight. FILE PHOTO: Uganda’s Ronald Musagala will be among the 41 pace setters on Saturday.Kampala, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT & AFP | Ronald Musagala and Abdallah Mande, fresh from the World Athletics Championships, will be two of six Ugandans lined up to help Kenya’s Eliud Kipchoge, as he attempts to break the 2-hour barrier in the marathon on Saturday.The others are long distance aces Thomas Ayeko, Mande Bushendich, Jacob Kiplimo and Timothy Toroitich. There will be 41 pace makers.Norwegian siblings Henrik, Filip and Jakob Ingebrigtsen, also fresh from Doha, will act as pace setters when Kipchoge tries again to break two hours for a marathon, in Vienna on October 12.Olympic champion and world record holder Kipchoge has already had one tilt at a sub two-hour time at the Monza race track in May 2017.On that occasion the 34-year-old was just 25 seconds off the mark in a specially-prepared race using a pacemaker vehicle, as well as runners positioned to shield him in a bid to cut wind resistance.The assistance meant his time could not be validated by the IAAF. That will also be the case in Vienna. The world record, which the Kenyan set in Berlin last year, is 2hr 01min 39sec.FOLLOW EVENT LIVE HERE (see facebook/twitter feed below)