About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Man City midfielder Rodri: Liverpool are best team in Europeby Freddie Taylor15 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City midfielder Rodri believes Liverpool are the “best team in Europe”.The reigning European champions are yet to lose a match in the Premier League, which sees them eight points ahead of City on top of the table.”I don’t know,” he told ESPN FC when asked if the fans saw United or Liverpool as City’s main rivals. “I had never been in the city before, I don’t know how people in the city feel.”But the team to beat is Liverpool now and that has been for the last two seasons. They are the champions of Europe so everyone wants to beat them, not just us.”They’re a great team, they have improved a lot of things, they’re a very good team, and they’re the best team in England and in Europe.”
WASHINGTON – U.S. homebuilders broke ground on fewer apartment complexes in February, causing overall housing starts to fall 7 per cent.The Commerce Department said Friday that housing starts last month were at a seasonally adjusted annual pace of 1.24 million, a decline that was anticipated after construction surged in January to 1.33 million.February’s slowdown in construction came from a 28 per cent plunge in starts for multi-family buildings. Groundbreakings for single-family houses actually rose 2.9 per cent.Builders’ efforts have shifted to single-family houses as the economy has improved and as fewer existing homes are being listed for sale. The solid job market and a growing millennial population looking to purchase a home have lifted demand over the past two years. But the number of homes listed for sale has fallen during that time. Increased construction has not fully offset the shortage.The U.S. housing market appears to be stable because of the relative health of the overall economy. That may be tested by rising mortgage rates that could put a new home out of reach for many.“Soaring employment and faster wage growth should support the housing market, but activity is going to be constrained by higher rates,” said Ian Shepherdson, chief economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics.Single-family house construction increased last month in the Northeast, South and West, but it declined in the West.The National Association of Realtors said that the total supply of existing homes for sale dropped to 1.52 million in January, which contributed to sales of existing homes declining 4.8 per cent over the past 12 months.Building permits, an indicator of future construction, tumbled 5.7 per cent to an annual pace of 1.30 million. But that decline, too, was largely concentrated in apartment complexes, suggesting that construction companies expect more Americans to segue to home ownership.Builder sentiment remains positive, although it has slipped over the past three months. The National Association of Home Builders/Wells Fargo builder sentiment index for March ticked down a point to 70. Any reading above 50 indicates more builders see sales conditions as good rather than poor.Stock investors have also decided that homebuilding companies are overpriced after a strong performance in 2017. Shares in D.R. Horton have dropped nearly 15 per cent so far this year. The Pulte Group is down almost 13 per cent. Stock in Tolls Brothers had lost about 8 per cent of its value.Homebuyers are facing greater cost pressures. The shortage of homes on the market has caused prices to climb much faster than wages. At the same time, it has become slightly more expensive to borrow. The average rate for 30-year, fixed rate mortgages has risen to 4.44 per cent from 4.30 per cent a year ago, according to mortgage buyer Freddie Mac.
Home Hardware said that to receive an award, recipients must demonstrate excellence in staff performance and customer service; interior presentation, including clear signage, tidiness, and merchandise presentation and displays; exterior presentation, including cleanliness and attractive window displays; staff training; and participation in dealer network initiatives. Dealer-Owners must also represent strong community support and leadership within their local community.“The Proud of My Home Award recognizes Fort St. John Home Hardware Building Centre’s commitment and dedication to providing their community with quality advice, superior service and competitively priced products that are second to none,” said Terry Davis, President and CEO, Home Hardware Stores Limited. “Fort St. John Home Hardware Building Centre truly embodies the values on which Home Hardware was founded on which include value, service and dependability. On behalf of the Dealer-Owners of close to 1,100 Home Hardware Stores in communities across Canada, I would like to congratulate Fort St. John Home Hardware Building Centre on this achievement.” FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Home Hardware Building Centre in Fort St. John received the 2018 Paul Straus Public Relations Award at Home Hardware’s annual Spring Market on April 14th in St. Jacobs, Ontario. The award was a part of the Home Hardware Proud of My Home Awards which acknowledged the top stores in the country. Dealer-Owners Doug and Shelley Gallinger say they’re honoured to be one of seven stores recognized in the awards categories from among the nearly 1,100 stores across Canada.“We are deeply honoured to be acknowledged with the Proud of my Home designation for the Paul Straus Public Relations Award,” said Doug and Shelley Gallinger. “This award would not have been made possible without the hard work and dedication of our staff and local community. A special thank you goes to our customers for their support.”
The variable operating schedules for sawmill operations and the curtailment of plywood operations in B.C. are expected to commence September 16.West Fraser anticipates continuing the variable operating schedules at its B.C. sawmills until market and economic conditions support a return to full production. CHETWYND, B.C. – West Fraser has announced that it will be introducing variable operating schedules at five of its British Columbia sawmills.In a release, the company says these changes will result in an estimated decrease of production in the range of 15 to 25 percent of the current B.C. lumber production and will include operations at the sawmill in Chetwynd.West Fraser says the potential effect of the revised operating schedules could be an aggregate reduction by up to an estimated 100 million board feet through to the end of the year.
New Delhi: The Yo-Yo test might be considered a must under the leadership of India skipper Virat Kohli and coach Ravi Shastri, but MS Dhoni’s Chennai Super Kings will not be performing the fitness test as they gear up for the rigours of the 12th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL). Former India trainer Ramji Srinivasan, who is associated with the franchise till the first game of this season, has picked the 2 km or 2.4 km run and the Sprint Repeat test as the measuring scale to gauge the fitness of the players. Also Read – Andy Murray to make Grand Slam return at Australian OpenRamji explained how he prefers smart training and designs tests keeping in mind the specific requirements of individual players rather than carrying a common testing parametre like the Yo-Yo test. “I have picked the 2 km or 2.4 km run to check the fitness standards of the players as also the Sprint Repeat test. Just because the national team does the Yo-Yo test doesn’t mean I need to follow the process. “I believe in the need to prepare challenges for players keeping their specific requirements in mind. For example, even when I was with the Indian team, the training regime I prepared for Dhoni wasn’t the same as the one for Sachin Tendulkar. Also Read – Fast bowler Behrendorff to undergo spinal surgery”Similarly, if Virat Kohli is keen to do deadlifts and his body reacts positively to it, doesn’t mean that MS must also do them. The Yo-Yo is more suited to aerobic sports like football and that is how it started. “Also, fitness is a wide spectrum and it is important to keep a comprehensive approach to overall fitness and not just on endurance level. Overall tabulation is very important to look into the various factors like strength, power, agility, endurance, flexibility etc,” he said. Asked to explain Dhoni’s workout regime, Ramji said: “MS is in a different zone altogether. He likes to keep things very simple. He doesn’t do clean-and-jerk and other forms of power lifting. He likes to do his strength work and boxing work. Basically he is a smart trainer and works on a set of exercises that is simple and helps sharpen his skills.”
Srinagar: Former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Saturday hoped that there was equal condemnation against rights violations by militants in the state as when the security forces are accused of it. His remark comes a day after a 12-year-old boy, who was taken hostage, was killed in a gunfight in Bandipora district’s Mir Mohalla area along with two other militants. The police however, accused the militants of shooting the boy dead. Taking to Twitter, Omar said: “I wish there was as much outrage in Kashmir against militants when they take a young boy hostage as there is when security forces are accused of human rights violations. “Selective outrage is cowardly and hypocritical.”
New Delhi: The Delhi Police on Tuesday said that they have averted a gang war between various gangs in Najafgarh area with the arrest of two criminals. One of the accused also supplied illegal weapons to the gang.Police identified the accused as Suraj (23) and Roop Ram (26). “Accused Roop Ram (weapon supplier)was arrested from his house in Mathura. The other accused was nabbed from Chawla area in Dwarka,” police said. Deputy Commissioner of Police (Dwarka) Anto Alphonse said that Also Read – Odd-Even: CM seeks transport dept’s views on exemption to women, two wheelers, CNG vehiclesSuraj is a sharpshooter of Nandu gang. He is involved in an attempt to murder case last year wherein he had allegedly shot a man. He was arrested in the case and was lodged in Tihar jail. After releasing on bail, he procured illegal firearms/ammunition and resumed criminal activities. He was tasked to eliminate a rival gang member for which he was planning and coordinating with other gang members but was arrested by the police. Accused Roop Ram procures illegal weapons at low prices from illegal units from Western UP and sells them at higher profits to criminals in Delhi/NCR. Most of the people in his village are indulge in criminal activities and although he has been in the trade of illegal arms for quite some time he was never arrested earlier.
Kolkata: More than Rs 1 lakh has been seized from former IPS officer and BJP candidate for West Bengal’s Ghatal Lok Sabha constituency Bharati Ghosh, police said on Friday. “Bharati Ghosh was travelling in her car on Thursday night when we seized Rs 113,895 from her bag. The amount has been sent to the Treasury,” a police officer said. Asked if there were more people with her, the officer said that there were other people but they were travelling in a different car. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja Ghosh said she was not carrying the money illegally. “It cannot be a crime when I am lawfully using my election fund after withdrawing it from the bank. How can they seize the money that belongs to me?” Ghosh said she was shocked when only she was asked to sign in the seizure list whereas there were other party colleagues with her. “Are they trying to say that I will not carry any money? Where is the Election Commission? I have been approaching them with various complaints but they are not taking any action,” the BJP candidate pointed out. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highway “I have completely lost faith in the agency.” According to a Trinamool Congress leader, they had prior information that in different areas voters had been promised a sum of Rs 500-1,000. “We knew that Ghosh would bring money, so we informed the police. We demand her immediate arrest,” Trinamool’s Sheikh Sabirati said. “If the police have seized the money, there will be a case. The law will take its course,” BJP state President Dilip Ghosh said. In the Ghatal Lok Sabha constituency which votes on May 12, Ghosh is up against Trinamool’s celebrity candidate Deepak Adhikary alias Dev.
Damascus – Syria rebels overran the Aleppo headquarters of the jihadist Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant on Wednesday, as clashes between opposition forces raged into a sixth day. The loss in Syria’s northern second city came a day after ISIL’s spokesman threatened to “crush” opposition fighters who have attacked the group in multiple provinces.Elsewhere, a diplomat announced that two Swedish reporters missing in Syria since November had been freed. And the fractious Syrian opposition National Coalition said it was postponing until January 17 a final decision on whether to attend peace talks in Switzerland.On the ground, ISIL battled moderate and Islamist rebels in clashes that erupted on Friday and have killed at least 385 people since then.Monitoring group the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights announced the new toll in the clashes on Wednesday, saying it included 56 civilians.ISIL’s headquarters in a hospital in the Qadi Askar neighbourhood of Aleppo city was overrun by opposition fighters, who reportedly freed dozens of prisoners held there.An opposition fighter sits on the back of an armed pick-up truck in the northern Syrian city of Alep …The setback for ISIL came after its spokesman Abu Mohammed al-Adnani issued a defiant message late Tuesday.He urged ISIL forces to “crush them (the rebels) totally and kill the conspiracy at birth”.“None of you will remain, and we will make of you an example to all those who think of following the same path,” he added.Adnani also warned that ISIL had “declared and begun a war” against the National Coalition and the military command of the opposition Free Syrian Army.“Everyone who belongs to this entity is a legitimate target for us, in all places, unless he publicly declares his rejection of that group and of fighting the mujahideen (jihadist fighters).”His message came hours after the head of Al-Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate, the Al-Nusra Front, released his own audio message, urging an end to the fighting.Abu Mohamed al-Jolani warned that the fighting “risks costing us dearly on the ground if it continues”.“The regime will gain new life when it was close to collapse,” he added, calling for a ceasefire, exchange of prisoners and the establishment of an Islamic committee to mediate disputes.Priority is ‘fighting the regime’He urged all fighters “to give priority to the fight against the regime”.The Nusra Front, Al-Qaeda’s official affiliate in Syria, was established in mid-2011 with help from ISIL’s Iraqi precursor.The Iraqi group’s chief later sought to merge his group with Al-Nusra, but they rejected the alliance and pledged allegiance directly to Al-Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri.A combo made on January 8, 2014 shows a portrait of Magnus Falkehed (L) taken in Paris on December 9 …Since then, the two groups have functioned separately, though Al-Nusra has remained largely neutral in the latest fighting.Syrian regime operations continued on Wednesday, with the Observatory reporting at least eight people killed in air raids on the town of Tal Rifaat in Aleppo province.A security source in Damascus told AFP that the ISIL-rebel fighting benefited the Syrian regime.“We are the beneficiaries in this situation,” he said, describing the fighting as a way for nations backing different rebel groups to “settle scores”.Elsewhere, Sweden’s ambassador to Lebanon and Syria confirmed that two journalists missing in Syria since November had been freed.The two had been named in the Swedish media as Niclas Hammarstroem and Magnus Falkehed.A spokeswoman for the ICRC in Lebanon said one of the men had been transferred from the Lebanese border town of Arsal to Beirut on Wednesday.Diplomatic sources said the other was freed on Saturday.At least 25 journalists have been killed in Syria since the conflict began in March 2011, and more than 30 are thought to be missing.Both regime supporters and opponents have been accused of abducting and killing journalists.In Istanbul, a meeting of opposition National Coalition ended without a decision on attending peace talks in the Swiss town of Montreux on January 22.Amid fierce debate, the coalition’s general assembly decided to delay making a decision on opposition participation until January 17, just five days before the conference.A key Coalition member has said it will boycott the talks, and Damascus has said President Bashar al-Assad’s departure from power will not be up for discussion..
Bayern Munich’s Franck Ribery is adamant that the “war is not over” in their semi-final tie against Real Madrid in the Champions League and is certain that his side will have their chances in the second legThe French midfielder was a constant threat against Los Blancos on Wednesday night at the Allianz Arena in Munich with Bayern, despite having been the stronger of the two sides for large parts of the game, lost the first leg 2-1.But Real did underestimate Juventus in the previous round, after winning their first leg against the Serie A champions 3-0 at Turin before a late Cristiano Ronaldo penalty spared them from eliminated from the competition with Juventus having grabbed a three-goal lead at the Santiago Bernabeu.Ribery took to social media to send a motivational message to his teammates ahead of Tuesday’s second leg.“The battle is lost but the war is not over ???? we will get our chances in Madrid!” wrote the 35-year-old.Report: Bayern are held by Leipzig George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Bayern Munich was held to another draw, this time by RB Leipzig.Bayern Munich finds themselves in the unfamiliar position of sitting third in the…The battle is lost but the war is not over ???? we will get our chances in Madrid! #MiaSanMia #fr7?? @FCBayern @ChampionsLeague pic.twitter.com/UQV9RIYeX3— Franck Ribéry (@FranckRibery) 26 April 2018Ribery will be expected to play a key role in the return leg at the Spanish capital next week with his teammates Arjen Robben and Kingsley Coman looking doubtful for the match.Bayern will need to score at least two goals at the Bernabeu if they want to stand a chance of making it to the tournament’s final.