Previous articleMichael McCrudden to stay at InstituteNext articleCommunity and local health campaigners urged to support nurses strike News Highland Google+ Twitter WhatsApp Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Facebook By News Highland – January 29, 2019 News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Pinterest Facebook Community Enhancement Programme open for applications High Court orders couple to repay Donegal woman with interest Pinterest Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Homepage BannerNews RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR The High Court has ordered that a couple who received €280,000 from their friend, a Donegal woman and claimed the money was a gift, must repay the money immediately, with interest.Earlier this month the court ruled that the money given by 59-year- old Della Kerrigan to her friends John and Jacqueline Keenaghan in 2010 was a loan not a gift.The money was part of a sum of €750,000 given to Ms Kerrigan, from Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, as compensation for injuries she suffered in a road collision.The court heard the Keenaghans paid off their debts, financed their children’s education, retrained as counsellors and psychotherapists and opened a new business with the money.They claimed it was a gift given to them “out of the blue” when they were in financial difficulties.According to RTE News, Ms Kerrigan meanwhile, is now in very poor financial circumstances, dependent on payments from the Department of Social Protection.Today, Ms Justice Deirdre Murphy ruled the Keenaghans must pay interest on the money, at a rate of 8% set under legislation, beginning from 2014, when Ms Kerrigan originally asked Mrs Keenaghan to begin repaying the money.The judge awarded the costs of the eight day hearing against the Keenaghans despite a plea for “some little mercy” from their barrister Desmond Murphy, to award just six days’ costs.The judge refused to postpone making her final orders pending a possible appeal by the Keenaghans. WhatsApp Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Google+ Twitter
The politically-fraught change in Britain’s digital future was made by Prime Minister Boris Johnson during a meeting with his cabinet and National Security Council.It requires companies to stop buying new 5G equipment from Huawei starting next year and strip out existing gear by the end of 2027.”This has not been an easy decision, but it is the right one for the UK telecoms networks, for our national security and our economy,” digital minister Oliver Dowden told parliament. Britain on Tuesday bowed to growing US pressure and ordered the phased removal of Chinese telecoms giant Huawei from its 5G network despite warnings of retaliation from Beijing.The policy reversal hands a long-sought victory to US President Donald Trump’s administration in its geopolitical tug-of-war with China.The White House said the decision “reflects a growing international consensus that Huawei and other untrusted vendors pose a threat to national security, as they remain beholden to the Chinese Communist Party”. Diversification Johnson has challenged the Trump administration to come up with a reliable and cost-effective alternative to the Chinese firm.Britain is pushing for the creation of a 5G club of nations that can pool their resources and provide individual components for an alternative solution that could be applied across the world.The UK government said the process would begin with South Korea’s Samsung and Japan’s NEC — two veterans with broad production capabilities — while offering protection for Finland’s Nokia and Sweden’s Ericsson to ensure they remained viable players in the field.Ericsson’s regional head Arun Bansal said his firm was “ready to work with the UK operators to meet their timetable, with no disruption to customers”.Nokia’s chief executive for UK and Ireland, Cormac Whelan, said the firm also has “the capacity and expertise to replace all of the Huawei equipment in the UK’s networks at scale and speed”.But UK officials caution that all existing players have some Huawei equipment in their supply chains that needs to be taken into account. Topics : But the move threatens to further damage Britain’s ties with the Asian power and carry a big cost for UK mobile providers that have relied on Huawei equipment for nearly 20 years.Huawei called it “politicized” and likely to put Britain “in the digital slow lane”.China’s ambassador in London, Liu Xiaoming, called it a “disappointing and wrong decision”.”It has become questionable whether the UK can provide an open, fair and non-discriminatory business environment for companies from other countries,” he wrote on Twitter. ‘Outages’ Johnson had come under intensifying pressure to not only dump Huawei but also adopt a tough line with China for its treatment of Hong Kong and repression of ethnic Uighurs in the western Xinjiang region.But he also pledged to voters last year to bring broadband access to all Britons by 2025.British telecoms companies had lobbied strongly against the policy reversal because of the cost of taking existing equipment out and finding untested alternatives.Dowden conceded Britons will now have to wait longer to get full access to the rapid new network.”This means a cumulative delay to 5G roll-out of two to three years and costs of up to £2 billion [$2.5 billion, 2.2 billion euros],” he said. “This will have real consequences for the connections on which all our constituents rely.”But officials insisted that Huawei had managed to install only a “small amount” of equipment since the 5G system began being offered to UK consumers last year. US sanctions Johnson infuriated Trump and upset some members of his own Conservative party by allowing the Chinese leader in global 5G technology to help roll out Britain’s speedy new data network in January.The UK was then completing its tortuous departure from the European Union and looking to establish strong ties with powerful Asian economies that could fulfill Johnson’s vision of a “Global Britain”.But the Trump administration told the UK government that its choice imperiled intelligence sharing because British signals could be intercepted or manipulated by China.Washington believes the private company can also shut down rival countries’ 5G networks under Beijing’s orders in times of war.Huawei has always denied this and pointed to two decades of cooperation with British security agencies that checked on the safety of its existing 3G and 4G networks.The British review was triggered by Washington sanctions in May that blocked Huawei’s access to US chips at the heart of 5G networks.The sanctions did not impact older 3G and 4G providers and Britain left its guidance for those networks unchanged.
“It’s always good to get results,” said Kershaw, who allowed a total of 15 runs in four spring training starts and only one on Saturday. “This one counted finally, so I’m thankful that I wasn’t giving up any runs and got spring training over with. “Obviously spring training I try not to give up runs either, but sometimes I need the adrenaline of a regular season game. I feel relieved to get this under my belt.”The 160-year-old SCG was a gracious host. Its peculiar quirks provided a picturesque Opening Day backdrop: A massive digital video board interrupting the stands in foul territory on the third-base side of the park; on the opposite side, a spired 19th-century grandstand with a green roof and a clock tower.More relevant to the game, the dimensions of the makeshift outfield were the difference between a one-run game and a three-run lead for Kershaw — practically a plush feathered cushion for the reigning National League Cy Young award winner.With the Dodgers leading 1-0 in the fourth inning and Adrian Gonzalez on first base, Van Slyke curled a low line drive inside the right-field foul pole. The ball had a slim margin for error, less than 10 feet from sailing foul or clanging off the temporary fence for a likely double. Instead it landed in the teal plastic seats just behind the 328-foot marker down the line to give the Dodgers a 3-0 lead. SYDNEY, Australia >> The air was warm and slightly humid when Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Wade Miley delivered the first pitch of the season to Yasiel Puig at 8 p.m. Saturday night. It was typical East Coast weather, if not the typical East Coast. A couple hours earlier, a distant clap of thunder interrupted the Dodgers’ batting practice and delayed the game’s first pitch by 14 minutes. The announced crowd of 38,266 at Sydney Cricket Ground sat through a brief autumn shower, then was treated to a very typical game of baseball.For the Dodgers, it was a Fall Classic.Clayton Kershaw was dominant. Scott Van Slyke had the hottest bat on the continent. The dream of a 162-0 season was still alive and well while most of the Pacific time zone slept through a 3-1 Dodgers victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks. “I thought it was either going to be foul or caught,” Van Slyke said. “I didn’t think it had a chance to go out.”Van Slyke nearly gave the outfield denizens their first souvenir in the second inning. Gonzalez, the Dodgers’ cleanup hitter, walked to lead off the inning. Van Slyke appeared to get all of the third pitch he saw from Miley, clubbing the ball high into the thick, swirling air to left field. A strong headwind knocked down the ball, which still managed to reach the wall — several feet away from leaping left fielder Mark Trumbo.“I gave Davey (Lopes, the Dodgers’ first-base coach) a high-five and looked up and the ball was coming into play,” Van Slyke said.“I think we all did” think it was a home run, Dodgers catcher A.J. Ellis said. “I think everybody in the stadium did, Mark Trumbo obviously did. (Diamondbacks catcher) Miguel Montero thought that ball was going to be 100 feet past the wall.”Gonzalez went from first to third as Van Slyke settled for a double. After Juan Uribe struck out, Andre Ethier pulled a ground ball to the left of Diamondbacks second baseman Aaron Hill. Hill’s only play was to first base, and Gonzalez scored on the RBI groundout.That was the entirety of the Dodgers’ offense against the left-hander Miley, who replaced injured teammate Patrick Corbin last week. Miley allowed only three hits in five innings — the double and home run by Van Slyke, and a single by Justin Turner in the fifth inning.Kershaw was a bit better in 6 2/3 innings. He allowed five hits, one run, walked one and struck out seven batters. Making his fourth straight Opening Day start, Kershaw’s only critical mistake was a double by Paul Goldschmidt in the bottom of the sixth inning. Goldschmidt went to third base on Kershaw’s only wild pitch of the evening, a slider in the dirt, then scored on a groundout to second base by Trumbo.The Diamondbacks couldn’t take advantage of their only other real threat in the first inning. They had runners on first and second with one out against Kershaw, but consecutive groundouts by Martin Prado and Trumbo ended the inning.“I threw my slider quite a bit tonight. A.J. does a great job back there. The only time I shook him off tonight I gave up a hit” — a single by Montero in the fourth inning, Kershaw said — “so I stopped doing that.”Chris Perez retired the final batter of the seventh inning in his Dodgers debut. Brian Wilson pitched a perfect eighth inning, striking out two batters, and Kenley Jansen pitched a scoreless ninth inning for the save — a perfectly scripted finish for the Dodgers’ $30 million bullpen.The two teams have less than 24 hours before returning here for a rematch. Hyun-Jin Ryu will face Arizona right-hander Trevor Cahill at 1 p.m. local time Sunday — 7 p.m. Pacific Time tonight — before flying back to North America after the game.SEE BOX SCORE | FOLLOW THE INSIDE THE DODGERS BLOG Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
Julian Draxler has told Kylian Mbappe to do all he can to be fit to face Liverpool, but the Germany international is ready to step up for Paris Saint-Germain if needed.Mbappe and fellow star Neymar were injured in the international break to put their participation in the game in doubt, but coach Thomas Tuchel suggested on Friday they could return on Wednesday.PSG are third in their Champions League group, a point behind both Napoli and Liverpool with two games remaining, making a positive result against the Reds crucial, and Draxler knows he may have to deliver if the two forwards are not back. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! “If both players are injured, we still have a lot of good qualities in the team. Many other players can score or make assists, like me,” he said. Julian Draxler: “We hope that @neymarjr and @KMbappe play on Wednesday. At the same time, we have other great players who can play”— Paris Saint-Germain (@PSG_English) November 23, 2018 But Draxler is keen to see PSG at full strength as they look ahead to a pivotal match.”I have spoken with Kylian and I told him: ‘You have three or four days left to prepare for Liverpool, it will be important for us’,” he said. “In the dressing room, we talk about that.”It’s clear. We are not afraid, we know it’s a decisive game. We’ll play a good game against Toulouse [on Saturday] and then we’ll think about Liverpool.”We have to play better than there [at Anfield in a 3-2 defeat]. I think everybody will be ready and I am very happy to have the opportunity to play a match like that in front of our supporters.” Subscribe to Goal’s Liverpool Correspondent Neil Jones’ weekly email bringing you the best Liverpool FC writing from around the web