NAFCU’s Berger joins CNN International, talks coronavirus’ economic impact

first_imgNAFCU President and CEO Dan Berger joined CNN International’s Quest Means Business last week to discuss the impact the coronavirus is having on the U.S. and global economies.“There is going to be an impact, but how deep it is going to be is still too early to be determined. It is going to affect the GDP of countries across the globe, not just the U.S.,” said Berger.While Berger stood firm in his belief that the American economy will be able to weather the storm, he reminded viewers of the importance of remaining vigilant.“Outbreaks and pandemics have the potential to have a secondary flare up and those are the ones that cause the damage from a longer-term standpoint,” added Berger. “My concern is also with China and the CCP, and they are not usually all that forthcoming with accurate numbers and data. But right now [the U.S.] is stable.” continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

Attacks on journalists in Haiti condemned

first_imgPORT AU PRINCE, Haiti, CMC – The Haitian government has condemned the “targeted” attacks on journalists both in the private and public sector with Prime Minister Jean Michel Lapin also condemning the verbal and physical pressure, intimidation and attacks on all press workers.Both Lapin and Eddy Jackson Alexis, the Secretary of State for Communication, were critical of the attacks that led to the death of a=t least one journalist and attacks on radio and television stations in the country as demonstrators continued to call for the resignation of President Jovel Moise over allegations of embezzlement.Lapin said that while recognizing the right of everyone to demonstrate peacefully, he was denouncing the verbal and physical pressure, intimidation and attacks on all press workers in particular and the general public and “expresses his solidarity with the journalists who are victims, and encourages actors to work for stability and lasting peace in society”.He said the protests were by groups of citizens “who have publicly stated their position and produced their demands.“The exercise of this constitutional right was well regarded by the Primature who instructed the competent authorities to make the best arrangements for the management of crowd movements,” he said, adding that the Haitian National Police deserve praise for its professional behavior.“Unfortunately, burrs could not be avoided and tainted the day that ended with the death of two people and destruction of material property,’ Lapin said, adding “the Primature deplores the deaths that occurred in this circumstance and offers its sincere condolences to the parents of the victims. The death of a man is too much.“It should be recalled that the right to protest is guaranteed by the Constitution, which imposes on the authorities the duty to protect life and property,’ Prime Minister Lapin noted.In his statement, Alexis said that he was condemning the attacks against journalists and the media workers both in the public and private sectors.“The targeted attack on Radio Télé Ginen (RTG) where three vehicles of the station were set on fire and windshields of several others stationed in front of the media building broken this Monday, June 10, 2019,” he said, expressing “solidarity with Radio Télé Ginen but also with journalists, Martine Denis Chandler, Richardson Jourdan of the RTNH, Lesly Dorcin of newspaper Le Nouvelliste, who were also victims of separate incidents on Friday 7 and Sunday June 9.”Police confirmed that Rospide Pétion, who worked for Radio Sans Fin, was shot to death in the capital on Monday night.The Secretary of State said he wanted to reiterate that “intolerance and any attack on the freedom to inform cannot be tolerated in any form in a democratic society.”The protesters are demanding the removal of President Moise from office over allegations of mis-use of funds associated with the PetroCaribe, an oil alliance of many Caribbean states with Venezuela to purchase oil on conditions of preferential payment.last_img read more

Kyler Murray’s agent bashes report on quarterback’s leadership, interviews

first_img“My business partners and I personally represent coaches and executives who sat in on eight of Kyler’s 10 formal combine interviews,” he said. “I spoke directly to each of them, as well as executives from the other two teams and many others who I don’t represent but were present, and all of them were extremely positive about his entire interviews, with each citing specific examples as to why.”Murray has been the subject of intense scrutiny in recent weeks about his height, weight and even television interviewing. “What do I think about an agenda-driven ‘analyst’ who’s never once even talked to Kyler or any of his coaches or teammates?” Burkhardt asked. “I think it’s disgusting and embarrassing and Casserly should be ashamed of himself.”Burkhardt then described what he has heard about Murray’s interviews at the combine. Related News Kyler Murray’s agent, Erik Burkhardt, is not happy with former general manager and current NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly.In an interview with Pro Football Talk, Burkhardt ripped into a report from Casserly which said Murray’s interviews with teams were some of the “worst” he had ever heard about. The 21-year-old won the Heisman Trophy at Oklahoma last season and many around the NFL reportedly believe the Cardinals will take him at No. 1.Murray went 12-2 as a starter for Oklahoma last season.“Look, If you don’t like Kyler’s game, it’s cool. If you don’t like his size and want to talk about that, that’s fine, too,” Burkhardt said. “But when you slander the character and work ethic of a young man who’s worked his a— off his entire life and done everything right to put himself in his current position, you’d better cite your sources and come with a better record than 18-46 as a GM of the Texans.”center_img Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley defends QB Kyler Murray: ‘All he cares about is winning’ Former NFL GM: Kyler Murray received ‘worst comments’ I ever heard about a high-rated QBlast_img read more

Annabell’s stunning finish earns a share of the lead

first_img The leaders are being chased by Dulcie Sverdloff (Thorpe Hall, Essex), who is a stroke behind on 70.Her round included an eagle-birdie sequence on six and seven, before a lull in the middle where she had three bogeys in four holes, but she bounced back with birdies on 13 and 14. England’s Annabell Fuller shot seven-under par on the back nine of the Hotchkin course at Woodhall Spa as she played her way to a share of the lead in the English women’s stroke play championship.  She’s tied with Ireland’s Jessica Ross on four-under 69, but they reached the same total in very different ways.  22 Aug 2017 Annabell’s stunning finish earns a share of the lead “When I started I couldn’t hit the ball, I’ve never hit it so badly,” said Fuller, from Roehampton, Surrey. “I thought if I could get round below 80 I’d be happy,” she said. Like Fuller, the 22-year-old finished with a flourish, holing from 25ft on 17 for birdie and getting up and down for a final-hole birdie on the 18th.  The leaders are being chased by Dulcie Sverdloff (Thorpe Hall, Essex), who is a stroke behind on 70. She started well, with an eagle-birdie sequence on six and seven, before a lull in the middle where she had three bogeys in four holes, but bounced back with birdies on 13 and 14.  Then matters began to look up for the English U16 girls’ champion. She parred the short fifth and birdied the long sixth, but promptly missed the fairway on seven. “I thought here we go again, but I started to play really well, steady and straight.  This was McGinty’s first outing on the course after she arrived in Woodhall Spa feeling unwell and opted out of practice yesterday in favour of a course walk.  “I hit a couple of nice pitches and holed the putts and then I was back to level after 14.” From then on there was no stopping her. She had another birdie on 15, yet another on 17 where she holed a 30-footer – her only long putt of the round – and finally rammed home a 10ft putt on the 18th for eagle.  Ross, meanwhile, got off to a quick start and was three under after six, helped by super-accurate hitting which gave her putts of just 1ft on the 2nd and 5th.   “I hit a couple of nice pitches and holed the putts and then I was back to level after 14.” From then on there was no stopping her. She had another birdie on 15, yet another on 17 where she holed a 30-footer – her only long putt of the round – and finally rammed home a 10ft putt on the 18th for eagle.  Fuller (pictured) was four over after four holes, complaining that she couldn’t hit the ball, and she was still three-over at the turn. But on the back nine the 15-year-old came home superbly in seven-under 30, finishing off with an eagle three on the last.  Among the other players under par are Paula Grant, the Irish women’s champion who was also top qualifier at the British women’s amateur. She’s in a group on one-under with Rebecca Earl (Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire), who started her round with a chip-in birdie.  Like Fuller, the 22-year-old finished with a flourish, holing from 25ft on 17 for birdie and getting up and down for a final-hole birdie on the 18th.  Click here for full scores.  She’s tied with Ireland’s Jessica Ross on four-under 69, but they reached the same total in very different ways.  Annabell’s stunning finish earns a share of the lead  Ross, meanwhile, got off to a quick start and was three under after six, helped by super-accurate hitting which gave her putts of just 1ft on the 2nd and 5th.   Image copyright Leaderboard Photography A shot further back on two-under 71 is Gloucestershire’s Caley McGinty whose card featured one eagle, one birdie, one bogey and 15 pars. “It was really weird,” said the 16-year-old from Knowle. Then matters began to look up for the English U16 girls’ champion. She parred the short fifth and birdied the long sixth, but promptly missed the fairway on seven. “I thought here we go again, but I started to play really well, steady and straight.  Ross is enjoying a consistent season but declares: “This is my first four-under round of the season so I’m happy with that.” A shot further back on two-under 71 is Gloucestershire’s Caley McGinty whose card featured one eagle, one birdie, one bogey and 15 pars. “It was really weird,” said the 16-year-old from Knowle. England’s Annabell Fuller shot seven-under par on the back nine of the Hotchkin course at Woodhall Spa as she played her way to a share of the lead in the English women’s stroke play championship.  Fuller was four over after four holes, complaining that she couldn’t hit the ball, and she was still three-over at the turn. But on the back nine the 15-year-old came home superbly in seven-under 30, finishing off with an eagle three on the last.  Ross is enjoying a consistent season but declares: “This is my first four-under round of the season so I’m happy with that.” “When I started I couldn’t hit the ball, I’ve never hit it so badly,” said Fuller, from Roehampton, Surrey. “I missed the first fairway and the green. I missed the second fairway and couldn’t get on the green, I just about hit the next fairway and then missed the green…. I thought if I can get round below 80 I’ll be happy,” she said. Sverdloff has just graduated from university in the USA and is preparing to go to Tour school in December. “I’ve got this and the British stroke play, they’re my last two amateur events and I’m just trying to enjoy them because then it will get serious,” she said.  This was McGinty’s first outing on the course after she arrived in Woodhall Spa feeling unwell and opted out of practice yesterday in favour of a course walk.  Sverdloff has just graduated from university in the USA and is preparing to go to Tour school in December. “I’ve got this and the British stroke play, they’re my last two amateur events and I’m just trying to enjoy them because then it will get serious,” she said.  Among the other players under par are Paula Grant, the Irish women’s champion who was also top qualifier at the British women’s amateur. She’s in a group on one-under which includes Rebecca Earl (Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire), who started her round with a chip-in birdie.  Click here for full scores.  Tags: Annabell Fullerlast_img read more

Adopt-A-Pet Dog of the Week

first_imgFacebook0Tweet0Pin0 Submitted by Adopt-a-Pet ShelterAdopt BonnieMeet Bonnie.  This sweetheart keeps getting overlooked – someone is going to get a great dog if they give her a chance. She is an energetic girl – you would not know she is 8 years old.  One of our volunteers takes her for long jogs and Bonnie is not the one that gets tired out! She does well with other dogs her energy level and likes the water.Come meet Bonnie, we are open Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. – appointments preferred.  Contact Adopt-A-Pet on Jensen Road in Shelton or contact us at [email protected] or (360) 432-3091.last_img