New York workers demand wage theft protection

first_imgNew York City workers demand state pass wage theft protection bill, Nov. 22Workers held a powerful rally in front of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office in midtown Manhattan on Nov. 20 to demand that he sign the SWEAT, Securing Wages Earned Against Theft, Bill, A486/S2844. Passed by both houses of the New York State Legislature in June, it would give workers and the New York Department of Labor the tools to recover stolen wages, including the ability to put a lien on an employer’s business or property until the conclusion of a court case or investigation.Many workers do not receive minimum wage or overtime pay; some are not paid at all. One speaker noted that he was paid $3 a day, $15 a week working at a bakery. Another worker said he was paid $1 an hour. When workers take action to recover their stolen wages, employers often close up shop and then reopen under a different name. The NYDOL estimates that up to $1 billion is stolen from workers in New York state every year.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thisFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thislast_img read more

English lockdown might have reduced COVID-19 infections more than thought: Scientists

first_imgThe reproductive number of COVID-19 in England may been lower than previously thought in May, research published by British scientists said on Wednesday, suggesting the government’s COVID-19 lockdown worked to reduce infection rates.British Prime Minister Boris Johnson first eased England’s lockdown on June 1, and has since re-opened more of the economy.The research showed the rates of infection fell during May, the last month of full lockdown, halving every eight to nine days. The research also found that young adults were more likely to test positive than other age groups, indicating the need for them to follow social distancing even if their symptoms are often less severe than for older people.It also said that people of Asian ethnicity were more likely to test positive, which might account for higher death rates in that group.A separate pre-print study of a pilot test-and-trace scheme on the Isle of Wight found that it had reduced total incidence of infections and the R number faster than in other areas of the UK. Topics :center_img The study – which is a “pre-print”, meaning it has yet to be peer-reviewed – found there were on average 13 positive cases for every 10,000 people, with an overall reproduction number of 0.57.That is lower than the government’s official figures for that time, estimating a so-called “R” number of 0.7-0.9 when lockdown was eased. An R number of less than 1 indicates an epidemic is shrinking.”Our level of adherence in the UK, and the overall average behavior was very effective at reducing transmission of the virus,” Steven Riley, Professor of Infectious Disease Dynamics, Imperial College London, told reporters.Over 120,000 volunteers were tested as part of the study, which health minister Matt Hancock said showed the government took the “right actions at the right time”.last_img read more

Gough’s last hole birdie wins McGregor Trophy

first_img Tags: Conor Gough, Kedleston Park, McGregor Trophy Boy international Conor Gough claimed his second England crown when he holed out from 25ft on the last to win the McGregor Trophy at Kedleston Park, Derbyshire.The 15-year-old signed off with a 68 and a 72-hole total of seven-under par, snatching a one shot victory in the English U16 boys’ open championship from Yorkshire boy champion Ben Schmidt.The McGregor Trophy is one of golf’s most sought-after U16 titles and Gough follows in the footsteps of such previous winners as Justin Rose and Eduardo Molinari.Gough, who has previously won the U14 Reid Trophy, is now eyeing the U18 Carris Trophy and commented: “I’m really pleased with this and it gives me a chance to win the triple, so it means a lot.”Gough (Stoke Park) was three shots off the lead, held by Schmidt, at the start of the final round. But, after 12 holes he’d slipped back further and trailed by five. “I knew I had to do something special,” he said – and that’s what he did.He played the remaining six holes in four under par, with birdies on 13; 15, where he chipped in; 17, where he had a tap in; and 18 where he rolled in that winning 25-footer.“I hit good shots and the right shots at the right time and I played really well under the pressure,” said Gough.This is his second win of the year, after claiming the boys’ title at the Fairhaven Trophies. His next target is the European Young Masters, which takes place later this month.Third place in the McGregor Trophy was shared by Ireland’s Joshua McCabe and Lucas Fallotico of Italy who were three-under parThe 15-year-old signed off with a 68 and a 72-hole total of seven-under par, snatching a one shot victory in the English U16 boys’ open championship from Yorkshire boy champion Ben Schmidt.The McGregor Trophy is one of golf’s most sought-after U16 titles and Gough follows in the footsteps of such previous winners as Justin Rose and Eduardo Molinari.Gough, who has previously won the U14 Reid Trophy, is now eyeing the U18 Carris Trophy and commented: “I’m really pleased with this and it gives me a chance to win the triple, so it means a lot.”Gough (Stoke Park) was three shots off the lead, held by Schmidt, at the start of the final round. But, after 12 holes he’d slipped back further and trailed by five. “I knew I had to do something special,” he said – and that’s what he did.He played the remaining six holes in four under par, with birdies on 13; 15, where he chipped in; 17, where he had a tap in; and 18 where he rolled in that winning 25-footer.“I hit good shots and the right shots at the right time and I played really well under the pressure,” said Gough.This is his second win of the year, after claiming the boys’ title at the Fairhaven Trophies. His next target is the European Young Masters, which takes place later this month.Third place in the McGregor Trophy was shared by Ireland’s Joshua McCabe and Lucas Fallotico of Italy who were three-under parThe 15-year-old signed off with a 68 and a 72-hole total of seven-under par, snatching a one shot victory in the English U16 boys’ open championship from Yorkshire boy champion Ben Schmidt.The McGregor Trophy is one of golf’s most sought-after U16 titles and Gough follows in the footsteps of such previous winners as Justin Rose and Eduardo Molinari.Gough, who has previously won the U14 Reid Trophy, is now eyeing the U18 Carris Trophy and commented: “I’m really pleased with this and it gives me a chance to win the triple, so it means a lot.”Gough (Stoke Park) was three shots off the lead, held by Schmidt, at the start of the final round. But, after 12 holes he’d slipped back further and trailed by five. “I knew I had to do something special,” he said – and that’s what he did.He played the remaining six holes in four under par, with birdies on 13; 15, where he chipped in; 17, where he had a tap in; and 18 where he rolled in that winning 25-footer.“I hit good shots and the right shots at the right time and I played really well under the pressure,” said Gough.This is his second win of the year, after claiming the boys’ title at the Fairhaven Trophies. His next target is the European Young Masters, which takes place later this month.Third place in the McGregor Trophy was shared by Ireland’s Joshua McCabe and Lucas Fallotico of Italy who were three-under parClick here for full scoresImage copyright Leaderboard Photography. 19 Jul 2018 Gough’s last hole birdie wins McGregor Trophy last_img read more

Team Grads 2004-05 captures Third Annual Bomber Alumni Basketball Tournament

first_imgTeam Grads 2004-05 dumped the LVR Senior Bombers 83-70 to clinch the title with a 3-0 record.Again the Joseph Brothers, David and Florian, and Braden Klein and Jake Phelan led the three-time champs.Team 2003, consisting of players from the 2000 BC Juvenile and 2001 BC Junior Boy’s Basketball Champions, finished tied for second with Team Rickaby. Both teams ended with 2-1 records.Team 2011 took fourth spot ahead of the LVR Bombers in the five-team tournament.Team Grads 2004-05consists of David Joseph, Florian Joseph, Braden Klein, Jake Phelan, Ryan Golik, Brendan Melanson, Ben Irving and Jordan Melanson. Team Grads 2004-05 made it a three-peat at the Third Annual Bomber Alumni Basketball Tournament Boxing Day at the L.V. Rogers Hangar.The tournament was in memory of longtime LVR Bomber coach Blair D’Andrea with proceeds of the event going to the Blair D’Andrea Alumni Scholarship Society fund supporting post-secondary athletes and grassroots basketball development in the West Kootenays. last_img read more

5,000 PEOPLE WAITING MORE THAN A YEAR FOR OUTPATIENT APPOINTMENT AT HOSPITAL

first_imgHEALTH SHOCKER: ALMOST 5,000 people are now waiting more than a year for an outpatient appointment at Letterkenny General Hospital, figures released by the HSE have revealed.Letterkenny General HospitalThe figures mark a staggering 411% increase in waiting list figures over the past year.Reacting to the shocking figures, Deputy Charlie McConalogue said the statistics should sound alarm bells across Donegal. He said “The huge increases in waiting list times are nothing short of alarming. This Government promised that no patient would be forced to wait more than 8 months for treatment, but 4 years later that target has been well and truly obliterated. In February there were 4,947 people waiting more than a year for scheduled procedures at Letterkenny General Hospital. This is completely unacceptable.“There has been a rapid deterioration in the situation over the past 12 months and it begs the question – where will these waiting lists be this time next year? The health system is becoming more and more dysfunctional and there appears to be no end in sight. Health Minister Leo Varadkar cannot continue to act like an impartial bystander, commenting on a worsening situation without doing anything about it.”He said it is now time for a radical rethink of how the health system is managed.“This Government has presided over a cull of community hospital beds, the closure of hospital wards, a slash and burn of health resources, gross mismanagement of the health budget over successive years and the downgrading of hospital services in different parts of the country. All of this has pushed more and more patients into the already overburdened hospitals. “The government’s approach is not working. We need to look at a longer-term system of community based primary care to take patients out the acute hospital system and to catch patients before they become sick enough to need hospital care. I am genuinely fearful that lives are now being put at risk as sick people get sicker while waiting months and months before they get the treatment they need.” 5,000 PEOPLE WAITING MORE THAN A YEAR FOR OUTPATIENT APPOINTMENT AT HOSPITAL was last modified: March 11th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:deputy charlie mcconaloguedonegalLetterkenny General Hospitaloutpatientwaiting listlast_img read more

20 days agoMan Utd keeper David de Gea eyeing off Elche

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man Utd keeper David de Gea eyeing off Elcheby Paul Vegas20 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United goalkeeper David de Gea could buy Segunda Division Elche.Sport says should the deal was to go ahead it would cost the Spain international around €18million (£16million), as reported by Sport.Jose Sepulcre, Elche’s maximum shareholder, had been negotiating a possible sale with player agent Christian Bragarnik, but talks have cooled recently.De Gea has a strong connection with Elche – he is a season ticket holder at the club and spent part of his childhood in the area, with his father having been born there.Elche are currently in 12th place in the Segunda Division table. last_img

Vine: John Calipari Criticizes Karl-Anthony Towns, Gets Videobombed By Karl-Anthony Towns

first_imgCoach Cal subbing a player out.LEXINGTON, KY – JANUARY 30: Head coach John Calipari of the Kentucky Wildcats reacts against the Vanderbilt Commodores during the second half at Rupp Arena on January 30, 2018 in Lexington, Kentucky. (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)Freshman forward Karl-Anthony Towns was a big part of Kentucky’s close win over LSU, but he was also called for a technical foul that helped spark the huge run that brought the Tigers back into the game. Towns hung on the rim after a dunk, picking up a technical foul. LSU’s Keith Hornsby made one of the two resulting free throws, and drilled a three on the ensuing possession, which cut the UK lead to 60-56.During the post-game interview on the court, John Calipari criticized his star freshman for the foul. While he was doing so, Towns, of all people, decided to photobomb him. The timing here is truly perfect.We just hope that Towns isn’t the next Wildcat to “go missing.” Calipari has a good sense of humor, so he’ll probably laugh it off.[FTW]last_img read more

BC Assessment makes presentation to Council

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Scott Sitter, Assessor of the Northern B.C. Region for BC Assesment made a presentation on the Basics of Assesment to Council.In the presentation Sitter explained the formula in which BC Assesment formulates their values they use in assessments of properties.In 1974 British Columbia became a Crown Corporation in which changes were made that distributed the tax base fairly. In B.C., assessment and taxing are run by different departments. Sitter shared, the B.C. assessment and tax system rank top 6 worldwide.Sitter spoke to Council at the end of the presentation in regards to the OSB Plant. He shared when BC Assessment gets notification of potential for a major industrial property to curtail its operations or go into closure, BC Assesment provides the best estimate at the time.In terms, if the OSB Plant is going to be down permanently the assessment on their building will drop to a 90 percent depreciation rate. Dependent on their current assessment will drop to 10 percent of the replacement value.The land will stay the same, the classification stays the same unless they start removing equipment then the classification changes and the method of evaluation changes. Sitter shares, once you change it from a major industrial property, now you’re into regular property classes.He goes on to share it is a huge building designed for a specific industrial purpose and who is going to buy the building for that purpose, yet more than likely an alternative purpose.Sitter shares he has not seen a reaction in the markets yet so he does not know how the markets will react with the plant’s closure yet as soon as BC Assesment knows they will keep close contact with the municipality.last_img read more