Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditNEW YORK (AP) — The Latest on the U.S. Open tennis tournament:Reigning Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin has won her second-round match at the U.S. Open against unseeded Leylah Fernandez 6-4, 6-3.Seeded No. 2, Kenin had more winners than unforced errors and never faced a break point. The American has lost in the third round at the Open each of the past three years, and will try to snap that streak Saturday. The fourth day of play is underway at the U.S. Open, with Serena Williams, reigning Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin, Andy Murray and Dominic Thiem among those scheduled to take the court. Williams faces Margarita Gasparyan, who is ranked No. 117. The forecast calls for partly cloudy skies with a high of 76 degrees.___More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/apf-Tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports Tsvetana Pironkova has pulled off an upset to reach the third round at the U.S. Open, her first tournament after a three-year break to focus on motherhood.Pironkova, who has no ranking because of her layoff, beat No. 10-seeded Garbine Maguruza 7-5, 6-3.A 32-year-old Bulgarian, Pironkova left the women’s tour to give birth to her son Alexander in April 2018. She is playing in her 12th Open but her first since 2016, and it’s her first tournament since Wimbledon in 2017.She finished with an ace for her 22nd victory against a top-20 player.___ ___Amanda Anisimova has won a matchup of American teenagers, rallying past wild card Katrina Scott 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 in the second round of the U.S. Open. The 19-year-old Anisimova, a surprise semifinalist at the French Open last year, steadied her game in the second set and pulled away. The 16-year-old Scott is ranked 637th and was coming off her first tour-level victory in the opening round Tuesday, when she made her debut in the main draw of a Grand Slam.Anisimova, who is seeded 22nd, won the girls’ singles at the Open in 2017.___ September 3, 2020 The Latest: American Kenin wins 2nd-round match at US Open
The Football Association (FA) is to investigate a social media post by Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli which appeared to contain anti-Semitic and racist references.Balotelli, 24, deleted the post from his Instagram page of Nintendo computer game character Super Mario.The Italian later tweeted to deny the text of the post was offensive.The FA confirmed it was looking into the post, while Liverpool said they will speak to Balotelli.A club spokesman told BBC Sport: “We are aware of the posting which has since been promptly deleted by the player.”We will be speaking to the player about the issue.” Responding to criticism on Twitter, Balotelli tweeted: “My Mom is Jewish so all of you shut up please.”He also described reposting the image as “my unlucky moment”.However, former FA executive and current chief executive of the Jewish Leadership Council Simon Johnson said Balotelli should face action.”We abhor all forms of racism, wherever it is found,” Johnson told the Daily Telegraph. “We call upon the FA to investigate this offensive social media post and to take action if appropriate if we are to succeed in kicking racism out of football.” Under the FA’s social media guidelines, the minimum ban for race-related breaches of rules is five games.In September, Merseyside Police investigated racist remarks made to Balotelli on Twitter after he posted a message during Manchester United’s 5-3 defeat against Leicester City.