Syracuse reaches Elite Eight for 1st time in program history with 3-1 win over Seattle

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Related Stories Liam Callahan links Syracuse’s defense and attack in 3-1 win over Seattle Julian Buescher asked for a box score and scanned the page. He let out a prolonged, “Yeah,” while he wagged his right pointer finger.“I needed that one,” Buescher said as he gathered up his cleats and drawstring bag and left the foyer of Ensley Athletic Center.He was referring to his assist on Kamal Miller’s goal, the one that buried Seattle and propelled Syracuse to its first Elite Eight ever. Buescher had set up the free kick and booted it through the 18-yard box. Redhawks goalie Shane Haworth saw the ball bound through the box, expecting someone to poke it toward the net.Instead it bounced in front of Haworth, who dropped to his knees and tried to knock it away. The ball caromed to Miller, who smashed the shot into the back of the net.“It popped in front of me and my eyes kind of lit up,” Miller said, “saying ‘Do I really have this chance right now?’ I knew I had to put it away to secure the game.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe free kick yielded Syracuse’s second goal via a set piece, the first coming just one minute, 30 seconds into the game. The two set pieces allowed No. 6 seed SU (15-5-3, 3-4-1 Atlantic Coast) to stun, then finish No. 11 seed Seattle (18-4-1, 9-1 Western Athletic).In the Sweet 16 last season against Georgetown, the Orange saw its 1-0 lead evaporate on two set pieces. After flipping the script this season, SU will play unseeded Boston College at SU Soccer Stadium at 2 p.m. on Dec. 5.“Set pieces can change matches,” SU head coach Ian McIntyre said. “It’s about quality service.”Seattle stumbled out of the gate slowly. It took 15 minutes for the Redhawks to gain possession inside of the Orange’s 18-yard box. In those 15 minutes, Seattle’s one foul was its only mark in the box score.One minute, 30 seconds into the game, SU midfielder Liam Callahan blasted a corner kick into the box. Defender Miles Robinson separated from his defender and made a run through the 6-yard box, knocking the ball to the left of Haworth, who couldn’t punch it away.“Miles will tell you it was a thundering header from about 6 inches,” McIntyre joked after the game.Although it wouldn’t stand as the game-winning goal, the corner kick allowed SU to land a decisive blow on an already wobbly Redhawks squad.SU used the goal to bear down on Seattle, pushing its three defenders forward and holding lengthy possessions. In the first half of the first 45 minutes, McIntyre yelled several times, “Keep dropping Kamal, keep dropping Kamal,” as the defender ran back from an offensive possession.Fewer than 20 minutes after the first goal, Syracuse got another when Seattle cracked under the Orange’s pressure. Callahan tapped a cross into the box and Noah Rhynhart blasted a shot off of a Seattle defender and into the net.“We couldn’t get ourselves going and that’s because of their tough pressure,” Seattle head coach Pete Fewing said. “We had a hard time getting a rhythm because it closed down so quick.”Four minutes after Seattle forward David Olsen scored from the ground by poking the ball through SU goalie Hendrik Hilpert’s knees, Miller scored his free-kick goal.Miller ran from the far side of the field to the Syracuse bench, but slowed down with his last few steps and danced into his teammates’ embrace after the goal that put Syracuse up, 3-1.“They had us on the ropes,” McIntyre said. “So to score that third goal as quickly as we did after Olsen scores … it gave us that breathing room to kind of get over the line today.”Against Georgetown in the Sweet 16 last season, SU held the Hoyas scoreless until the 80th minute. First a back-post cross and then a front-post cross, both on corners, ended SU’s season in overtime. Georgetown closed Syracuse’s season for the second time in three years.After that game last year, some players stayed on the field. Jordan Murrell sat on the field alone, Nick Perea stayed motionless. Then-backup goalie Matt Stith sobbed.This time, however, Stith, who is still at Syracuse but not as a player, walked onto the field on Sunday with an ear-to-ear grin. The celebration was subdued as players consoled Seattle players.But Stith, who watched the game with SU players who were hurt or not playing, dapped up teammates in a white sweatshirt with an orange 13 emblazoned on the back.This Sweet 16 was different. Commentscenter_img Published on November 29, 2015 at 3:08 pm Contact Chris: [email protected] | @ChrisLibonatilast_img read more

Russia faces ban from all major sports events

first_imgRussia could face a ban from all major sports events over “discrepancies” in a lab database, the World Anti-Doping Agency has warned.The country has been given three weeks to explain “inconsistencies” or risk being excluded from the Olympics and world championships.Russia also faces being barred from hosting major events.”There’s evidence this data has been deleted,” chairman of Wada’s compliance panel, Jonathan Taylor, told BBC Sport.”We need to understand from the Russian authorities what their explanation is.”BackgroundRussia handed over data from its Moscow laboratory in January as a condition of its reintegration back into the sporting fold after a three-year suspension for a state-sponsored doping programme. But on Monday Wada said its executive committee had been informed that a formal compliance procedure had been opened over the discovery of “inconsistencies”.”This is hypothetical at the moment, but if the experts maintain their current view, then the compliance review committee will make a recommendation to send a notice to Rusada asserting ‘you’re non-compliant’ and proposing consequences,” said Taylor.”In a case with a ‘critical non-compliance’, there is now a starting point for the sanctions that can go up and down, and they do include sanctions against Rusada and options include no events hosted in Russia, and they do include no participation of Russian athletes in world championships and up to the Olympics.”Taylor emphasised that under a new set of rules, Wada now has the power to apply such punishments, but also explained that if Russia were to appeal, the case would ultimately be decided by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).”Everyone has agreed they will enforce what Cas agrees,” he said. “We’ve got to be very careful. Procedure has got to be followed. We can’t prejudge the outcome.”Athletes are ‘furious’The International Olympic Committee (IOC) rejected Wada’s recommendation to ban Russia from the 2016 Olympics in Rio following the doping scandal, but suspended the team from the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, with athletes forced to compete as neutrals.On Monday the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) confirmed its decision to uphold a ban on Russia just four days before the start of the World Championships in Doha after hearing a report from its task force overseeing the country’s reinstatement efforts.But Russia now faces the prospect of being excluded from many other events, including next year’s Olympics in Tokyo and football’s 2022 World Cup.Taylor said Wada’s new sanctioning powers justified the highly controversial decision to reinstate Rusada in January before the data could be analysed. But Rob Koehler of Global Athlete, a group that has been critical of Wada’s handling of the crisis, said his members were “furious”.”The time has come to demand resignations from Wada’s leadership because they have shown they are not fit for purpose.”I hope I, along with the athlete community, am proven wrong, but this entire ordeal will play out in favour of Russia as it has done all along with no meaningful consequences.”‘This is a test for the new system’Taylor said he had “no concerns” that 47 disciplinary cases already referred to international sports federations would be undermined by the database discrepancies, but others may be affected.”There will be cases where it looks like the data has irretrievably gone, and in those then potentially a cheat is going to escape. “But then the job is for Wada to respond to that action. If the experts say it was deliberate deletion of data…”The problem will be if Wada and its stakeholders don’t pursue and don’t get proper sanctions, but this is a test for the new system.”Obviously if the experts say the Russians have deliberately tampered with this evidence, of course it’s disappointing. But the question now is how is Wada and its stakeholders going to respond?”If they are able to respond in a way that sends a clear message that this kind of conduct carries severe sanctions, that’s all you can do.”You can’t stop cheating. You can only make sure you’ve got a system that allows you to respond to it.” In comments reported by the Russian news agency Tass, the country’s sports minister Pavel Kolobkov said: “What exactly are these discrepancies and what are they related to?”Experts in digital technology from both sides are already in collaboration. For our part, we continue to provide all possible assistance.”Russia had missed deadlines to hand over the data before finally granting Wada access to the Moscow anti-doping laboratory in January.last_img read more

Taxi driver jailed for assaulting sister, daughter

first_imgA 52-year-old taxi driver was on Tuesday sentenced to 13 months imprisonment after being found guilty on two counts of assault on Tuesday.Peter Thompson of D’Urban Street, Lodge, Georgetown appeared before Magistrate Dillon Bess, who handed down the sentence.The taxi driver was jailed after the Magistrate found him guilty of two counts of assault.The prosecution’s case stated that Thompson wounded Rita Howard with intent to disfigure or cause grievous bodily harm on April 30, 2018. In addition, he also assaulted Prisilla Thompson with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.According to the prosecution’s case, both incidents occurred on April 30, 2018 at about 01:30h. Howard was awakened by a noise coming from her living room and as she ventured outside to investigate, she saw her parents in a scuffle; however, when she tried to intervene, Thompson picked up a bucket and hit her to the front of her head, resulting in injuries.Prisilla Thompson also tried to intervene but was overcome by her brother’s strength. The two women ran into the yard, but Thompson ran behind them and dealt his sister several stabs to her abdomen.The matter was then reported to the Police and Thompson was arrested and charged.last_img read more