The club’s team captains, Hazem Emam and Shikabala, have issued a statement to announce they will not continue the league.“We won’t go on the pitch before the coronavirus is gone and a cure is found,” Emam wrote on his Instagram account.“No-one can force us to risk our lives, especially after our teammate Mohamed Awad tested positive.“I want to inform you that as one of the team’s captains, my teammates and I won’t sacrifice our lives and the lives of our family members just to resume the league and please (rival club) Al Ahly and the people who support them.”So far, there are more than 22 cases in the league after tests were carried out on the players.Emam added in his Instagram post he would seek to raise the issue with the country’s president Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi should the league be resumed.“The players are ready to do whatever it takes even if it means meeting with his excellency the president to explain to him that the Egyptian FA is sacrificing the lives of his people, just to please a certain club,” he said.Zamalek President Mortada Mansour also announced his club’s withdrawal from the Egyptian Premier League after consulting with the first team coach Patrice Cateron.It remains unclear the consequences of Zamalek’s decision on the club’s representation at the CAF Champions League, with the five-time African champions are poised to face Morocco’s Raja Casablanca in the semi-final stage of the competition.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Players of Egyptian Premier League side Zamalek have refused to resume training or return to complete the current season unless “a cure for coronavirus is found.”Football activities in Egypt are due to return on 25 July after the government allowed teams to resume training this month – despite the growing spread of the virus in Egypt, with more than 66,000 confirmed cases.Zamalek’s refusal to resume the current campaign comes after the team’s goalkeeper Mohamed Awad revealed he had tested positive for coronavirus on 26 June.
After falling to Southern Illinois University Edwardsville in tough conditions 3–0 Friday night, followed by a 0–0 draw against Bradley University Sunday, the future of the Badger’s men’s soccer team is unclear. The Badgers have yet to win a road game this season and their record currently holds at two wins, three loses and a tie.In a conversation with UW Athletics after the game, Head Coach John Trask held his hat up to the cougars of SIUE.“Congrats to SIUE,” Trask said. “They caught us a couple times on the counter attack in a tough game in some tough conditions.”Volleyball: Wisconsin gets back on track versus North TexasThe University of Wisconsin women’s volleyball team rebounded in a big way as they downed North Texas in a quick Read…With just one senior along with offseason losses of strong attackers, the team has been put to the test against out of conference opponents. Junior goalkeeper Dean Cowdroy has put up a strong fight with seven crucial saves in the last two matchups, but the offense has lacked despite an array of shots being put up this weekend — 13 against Bradley alone.Despite struggles, young guys have stepped up to the challenge and rising upperclassmen are beginning to make an impact. Junior Duncan Storey has been the “storey” for the young badgers, registering 10 shots along with a resounding goal.Football: Jonathan Taylor earns Big Ten Player of the Week after dominant performanceJonathan Taylor is back and he’s up to his old Jonathan Taylor antics. Taylor, who opened up the season as Read…The Badgers (2–3–1) look to bounce back heading into the kickoff of Big Ten play with a matchup against rival No. 4 Indiana (4–1) this Sunday at home. The Badgers last faced the Hoosiers in the Big Ten Tournament championship game last fall, where the Badgers came away with a 4–2 victory and a Big Ten Men’s Soccer Championship title.The matchup is a part of the “PAC the MAC” soccer doubleheader event featuring the women’s team against the fighting Illini of Illinois at noon, followed by the men’s game at 3 p.m. Admission is one dollar, and for University of Wisconsin students the event will be free of charge with a valid WisCard. The game will be broadcast live on the Big Ten network.Badger fans — head out in full force this Sunday to support the men’s soccer program as they look to defend their Big Ten title.
Devin Clark was determined to make a statement at UFC 250.While he did just that by collecting his second consecutive win with a unanimous decision over Alonzo Menifield, what is resonating throughout social media is what he did before and after the fight. MORE: Jon Jones confiscates spray cans from protestersAfter the decision was announced in his favor, Clark again showed solidarity with the protests by raising a fist with his team in the Octagon.Devin Clark makes a statement with a unanimous decision win at #UFC250.And then he makes another statement in support of our brothers and sisters on the ground protesting the deaths of #BreonnaTaylor #GeorgeFloyd and #AhmaudArbery.Beautiful.#BlackLivesMatter pic.twitter.com/E7nS6ZQ54G— Andreas Hale (@AndreasHale) June 6, 2020The deaths of George, Breonna Taylor and Ahmaud Arbery sparked protests against police brutality and racism across the United States and worldwide. Those demonstrations have now reached the UFC’s Octagon, where Clark wanted to make sure that he made his position loud and clear. The 30-year-old light heavyweight from South Dakota took a knee and raised a fist during his introduction by Bruce Buffer in support of the worldwide Black Lives Matter protests that followed the death of George Floyd at the hands of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin on May 25. UFC light heavyweight @brownbearC took a knee and raised his fist while being introduced at #UFC250 pic.twitter.com/UbsU1t67r6— ESPN MMA (@espnmma) June 6, 2020Clark and Menifield — whose father was killed by Los Angeles police — put on an entertaining brawl that saw Clark have to overcome a possible orbital fracture to outstrike his opponent en route to the victory.