Philippines reverses Cayman Islands human rights blacklisting

first_img Sharing is caring! NewsRegional Philippines reverses Cayman Islands human rights blacklisting by: – June 12, 2012 28 Views   no discussions Share Sharecenter_img Share Tweet Cayman Islands’ deputy governor, Franz Manderson. Photo credit: radiocayman.gov.kyGEORGE TOWN, Cayman Islands (GIS) — After several months of diplomatic negotiations involving many communiqués and two visits to the Cayman Islands, the Philippines government late last month reversed its decision to list the Cayman Islands among countries that fail in their obligations to protect the rights of Filipino workers.In late 2011 the Cayman Islands was ‘black-listed’ by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration as one of the countries that it considered did not have sufficient safeguards in place to protect the rights of migrant workers.The ensuing local effort to reverse that decision involved the Deputy Governor’s Office and attorney general Samuel Bulgin. The British Embassy in Manila also communicated with the Philippine government on the matter, on behalf of the Governor’s Office.On 22 May 2012, the government of the Philippines confirmed that the Cayman Islands have been compliant in safeguarding the rights of immigrant workers. Thirty other countries (including Egypt, India, Nicaragua, and the Turks and Caicos Islands) engaged in similar processes, and have also been removed from the list.Welcoming the announcement, Cayman Islands’ deputy governor, Franz Manderson, said, “Filipino nationals constitute the second-largest group of expatriate workers, which should indicate that the government and people of the Cayman Islands are indeed very welcoming of them — as we are of the more than 100 other nationalities which live and work in harmony in these Islands.”Manderson also praised the efforts of all those involved in collating and providing the evidence to confirm Cayman’s compliance regime.Bulgin said, “The government is delighted that the Cayman Islands has been removed from the list of non-compliant countries.” He added that the inclusion of Cayman on the list had been premature, and could have been avoided if the appropriate consultation had taken place before the list was issued.Art Ursua, the Cayman Islands’ unofficial consul for the Philippines, also welcomed the acknowledgment that the islands are in compliance with the protection guarantees listed under the Department of Foreign Affairs. Caribbean News Nowlast_img read more

Whicker: The helium hasn’t run out on Will Smith’s high ride

first_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error The Dodgers got a compensatory first-round pick because they lost Greinke. That player turned out to be Smith, the 32nd player and third Cardinal in that draft.Who would you rather have now? Greinke has pitched admirably and is now with Houston, but he turns 36 in October.This is why you don’t trade players reflexively before their contracts expire. The Dodgers invested a lot in Greinke and used every drop, just as Cleveland is getting every kilowatt from shortstop Francisco Lindor.Now you hear desk-bound experts say the Indians should trade Lindor because his deal runs out in two years. Repeat, two years. Two years of All-Star play and leadership and maybe two playoff years as well.You heard the same unfathomable logic before the Angels gave Mike Trout his contract for life. When a star gets to the end and signs elsewhere, you also hear people say, “What a shame. They got nothing for him.” It was Dec. 4, 2015, and a short, chilly sunset. As darkness fell, the Arizona Diamondbacks triumphantly signed Zack Greinke to a six-year, $206 million contract and threw the Dodgers into reverse.Meanwhile, Will Smith was hitting caged baseballs and blocking bad pitches at the University of Louisville facility.He was a great-field, mediocre-hit catcher, heading into his junior draft year, hoping to pick up the slipstream from all the future pros in his clubhouse.It’s amazing how we long-jump to conclusions, and miss the pit.center_img That’s not true. When Mark Teixeira left the Angels, they got a draft pick that became Trout, plus they picked up budget room. Early returns indicate that Smith will be throwing out runners and getting conclusive hits long after Greinke has joined someone’s front office.Smith has 26 RBIs and nine home runs in his first 23 major-league games, both franchise records, and has been an errorless catcher in 19 starts. He was not drafted in high school, even though he had an 0.78 ERA pitching for Kentucky Country Day in Louisville, and hit 11 home runs his senior year. He was an infielder then, and the story is that KCD coach Joe Maione wanted to save Smith from the catching wear-and-tear until college.“I liked throwing guys out,” Smith said. “At Louisville they had a couple of veteran catchers, but I still played 10-15 games my freshman year because they were trying to get me ready. The biggest adjustment was learning to block balls, and we had a catching instructor, and we had a 20 minute period every day where we worked on stuff like that.”Marty Lamb, the Dodgers area scout, did not see Smith in high school but visited Louisville often to see the likes of Corey Ray, Zack Burdi, Brandon McKay and Kyle Funkhouser. He noticed  that a .242-hitting sophomore had become a .382-hitting junior. He saw Smith’s long home run against Wake Forest in the ACC tournament.“It’s the old scouting saying,” Lamb said. “If you see a guy do it once, you know it’s in there. He could always catch. I remember him picking a pitch off the ground and throwing out a guy at second, from his knees. A lot of scouts went in there to see other players, but Will was making himself noticed.”“I just had to break some bad habits,” Smith said. “I had to learn how to time the fastball better, not miss it when I got a chance. I’d had some highs and lows, and the lows were lasting too long. But I still felt like I was a good hitter, with a good feel for the strike zone.”Smith said he heard he might go in the “10th to the 20th round” when the year started, then the fifth to 10th, then second to third, and finally better than that. They call it “draft helium.” Sometimes it’s not to be trusted. Sometimes it finds a new horizon.The parents, Mark and Julie, are on the same high ride. They were at Dodger Stadium when Smith’s homer caused a win over Philadelphia.As Rick Bozich of WDRB.com told it, Julie spent part of her visit in an L.A. laundromat, washing Will’s clothes. The Smiths also recalled Will’s diligence, and the day when he caught 299 consecutive balls off a pitch-back device. But he dropped No. 300. Which meant he went back to No. 1.“He’s just a mature guy,” Lamb said. “He was up briefly in 2018, just so he could see what the major leagues were like, and after a while Justin Turner went up to (manager) Dave Roberts and said, ‘This guy gets it.’’’Another thing about jumpy conclusions: They’re not always wrong.RELATED:Will Smith leads Dodgers’ home run barrage in MiamiHow Dodgers catcher Will Smith emerged as two-way player after offseason workWhy Dodgers rookie Will Smith walked up to the ‘Fresh Prince of Bel-Air’ theme songlast_img read more

Cowboys QB Dak Prescott signs $31.4M franchise tender

first_imgRIVERA: Adams wants trade to Cowboys, putting Jets in impossible situationIf no deal is worked out by then, then they will have to renegotiate next offseason or the quarterback will hit free agency, although the Cowboys could also choose to franchise him again. Dak Prescott signed his $31.4 million franchise tender with the Cowboys for the 2020 season on Monday, the team announced.Prescott, who was tagged back in March, and the Cowboys could still try to work out a multiyear contract extension. The two sides have until July 15 to work out a deal. The 26-year-old Prescott is entering his fifth season in the NFL and is coming off his best year, finishing second in the league with a career-high 4,902 passing yards and fourth in the league with a personal-best 30 touchdown throws.Since being drafted in the fourth round in 2016, Prescott has never missed a game, his 15,778 passing yards rank sixth in the NFL and his 97 touchdown passes are tied with Carson Wentz for ninth.Despite being one of the league’s top passers, the two-time Pro Bowler has made just $4.9 million through his first four seasons in the NFL.last_img read more