Randy Feenstra Wins, Keeping Steve King’s Iowa Seat in G.O.P. Hands

first_imgIn 2018, Mr. Scholten lost by three percentage points to Mr. King in a district Mr. Trump had carried by nearly 30 points in 2016.His narrow loss then in part reflected the growing toxicity of Mr. King, who has a long history of racist remarks and denigration of racial minorities. For years, he has ridiculed multiculturalism, vilified undocumented immigrants and met with leaders of far-right groups. Randy Feenstra, a Republican state senator, won election to represent northwest Iowa in Congress on Tuesday, five months after his primary victory over Representative Steve King, whose history of racist comments had made him an embarrassment to the party. According to The Associated Press, Mr. Feenstra, 51, a social conservative, was turning back by a large margin a spirited campaign from J.D. Scholten, 40, a Democrat and supporter of Senator Bernie Sanders who nearly defeated Mr. King two years ago. – Advertisement – – Advertisement – Mr. Feenstra was outspent by Mr. Scholten — $2.3 million to $1.6 million — in the conservative district, but the Republican was aided by nearly $500,000 in outside spending. While Mr. Scholten was a favorite of progressives, he stressed his independent streak during the general election race. He told voters he had backed away from the Green New Deal after learning that farmers had not been consulted during the creation of the plan to shift America away from reliance on fossil fuels. “They didn’t include rural. They didn’t include farmers. That’s why it’s a nonstarter for me,” Mr. Scholten told Mr. Feenstra last month during a debate. “Don’t come at me with that. I don’t support the Green New Deal. I’ve been very damn clear.” – Advertisement – In 2019, Mr. King was stripped of his committee assignments after he said during an interview with The New York Times: “White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?”At the time, Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the Republican leader, told Mr. King to “find another line of work.”Mr. King wrote on Twitter early Tuesday that he supported Mr. Trump’s re-election, but could not bring himself to vote for Mr. Feenstra. “I enthusiastically voted for Trump first thing this morning but I couldn’t get my hand to fill in the oval for the Republican nominee for Congress,” he wrote. While Republican leaders saw Mr. Feenstra as less incendiary than Mr. King, the incoming congressman shares many of his predecessor’s policy views. Mr. Feenstra has pledged to fight to build President Trump’s border wall with Mexico, ban “sanctuary cities,” “fight against the liberal agenda” and defund Planned Parenthood. In a recent debate, he said marriage was “between one man and one woman.” He also sought to paint Mr. Scholten, a former professional baseball player who at 6-foot-6 stands one inch taller than Mr. Feenstra, as beholden to “liberal coastal elites.” Mr. Feenstra’s victory over Mr. Scholten was a bright spot for Republicans. – Advertisement –last_img read more

Anies slams red tape in pandemic fight

first_imgThe request would then be discussed by an expert team appointed by the health minister, which would approve or deny the request in consultation with COVID-19 fast response team chief Doni Monardo, who also heads the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB). Other than regional leaders, the COVID-19 fast response team chief can also submit such a request.The Health Ministry must make a decision within two days after the submission of the request, the regulation says. The PSBB should then be implemented for 14 days, which can be extended if there are still proven cases of transmission. The PSBB covers the closing down of schools and offices, limitations of religious activities, activities in public places, social and cultural events, transportation restrictions and activities related to security and defense.Anies said he had sent a PSBB request to Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto on Wednesday before the ministerial regulation was issued and would wait for an answer instead of sending a new letter. The request was being discussed by the Health Ministry’s team on Sunday afternoon.How Anies held back in coronavirus response (JP/Hengky)According to the government’s official count, there are 2,273 confirmed COVID-19 cases nationwide as of Sunday, including 1,124 in Jakarta. Ninety-five of the country’s 198 fatalities were recorded in Jakarta.Padjadjaran University epidemiologist Panji Hadisoemarto said the procedure to obtain the PSBB status was “overly bureaucratic”. He feared local administrations would be late in taking necessary measures, as they failed to immediately meet the requirements imposed by the regulation.“The criteria imposed are too restrictive, especially by referring to cases as those confirmed through PCR testing. In practice, it’s very likely that decisions will be made too late, because there’s a bottleneck in our PCR testing,” Panji said.Indonesia has conducted fewer than 10,000 tests using the PCR method so far, a small number that has been attributed to insufficient preparedness on the part of laboratories and a shortage of PCR testing kits. This has caused a backlog in testing, with many patients having to wait for days for their lab results to come back.Read also: Indonesia to receive 50,000 COVID-19 PCR test kits from South KoreaBerry Juliandi of the Indonesian Young Scientists Forum criticized the new regulation that gives the Health Ministry the authority over PSBB policies. “We’ve seen that the health minister has not taken the right measures to contain and mitigate COVID-19 so far,” Berry said.Bayu Dwi Anggono, a legal expert at the University of Jember in East Java, said requiring mayors and regents to consult with governors and also send their request to the latter instead of only to the Health Ministry would only increase paperwork, since the requirement was not stipulated in the 2018 Law on Health Quarantine nor in the 2020 government regulation.The Health Ministry did not immediately respond to the Post’s request for comment.Topics : Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan has accused the central government of stonewalling his efforts to contain the spread of the coronavirus by issuing a ministerial regulation that prevents him from directly imposing stricter measures to limit people’s mobility.Under pressure to control rising case numbers and fatalities in the capital, Anies strongly criticized the Health Ministry’s new guidelines on large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) that include an assessment process and show “no sense of urgency”.“[It’s] as if we are proposing a project that needs a feasibility study,” Anies told The Jakarta Post on Sunday. “Can’t the ministry see that we are facing a rising death toll? Is that not enough?”Earlier this week, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo said that, in lieu of a regional or national lockdown, regions could enforce physical distancing rules in their fight against COVID-19.According to Government Regulation No. 21/2020 on PSBB, provinces and cities are required to obtain a permit from the Health Ministry to impose the policy. As of Sunday, no region has obtained such a permit.According to a ministerial regulation issued by the Health Ministry on Friday, regional heads who want to enact PSBB have to submit requests alongside data on the increase of cases by also providing an epidemiology curve and a map on the spread of the virus as well as data proving that transmission had already occurred in their region. Cases in question refer to the number of patients under surveillance (PDP) and those having been confirmed through polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing.Read also: Jakarta, West Java governors doubt central govt COVID-19 figureslast_img read more

Love to cook? There’s two sinks, two ovens, two dishwashers here

first_imgRelax and unwind at 25 Merinda St, Greenslopes.Mr Behrendt said the kitchen was a cook’s dream with a central island bench with waterfall stone benchtops, butler’s pantry, two dishwashers, two ovens, and two sinks. Local and interstate buyers have expressed keen interest in the property.“Contemporary homes in Greenslopes are slowly evolving as they have in neighbouring suburbs of Coorparoo, Holland Park and Camp Hill,” he said.“The streetscape in changing in Greenslopes as grand new houses emerge.” Imagine coming home to this piece of art every day. Inside 25 Merinda St, Greenslopes. The kitchen area at 25 Merinda St, Greenslopes is massive and has two ovens and two sinks.Set in one of Greenslopes’ premier streets, this new home is only moments to Coorparoo Square and 5km to the CBD.Mr Behrendt said the main drawcard was the space created towards the rear of the property which encapsuled the grand living area with the 6m void, bi-fold doors that opened onto a covered entertaining area with lush landscaped gardens and a swimming pool. “The combination of bold black steel with warm spotted gum timber and stainless steel is a striking combination or warmth and modern edge design,” he said.“Five bedrooms with four bathrooms provide ample room for a family with the fifth bedroom positioned downstairs – perfect for a home business or teenage retreat.”center_img 25 Merinda St, Greenslopes is a stunning new three-storey build.A luxury new home at Greenslopes has hit the market with plenty of internal space for a family to enjoy.The five-bedroom, four-bathroom property at 25 Merinda St is on a 405sq m block.McGrath Bulimba-Balmoral selling agent Gunther Behrendt said the property was bought in 2016 and the existing house demolished to create this contemporary three-level home.“This is a home you would expect in Bulimba with is modern sleek design, bold architecture and grand open-plan living using space to create a sense of harmony with the building,” Mr Behrendt said. He said there was a 6m void, living room wrapped in black steel and spotted gum timber to make a grand statement.The home features glass sliding windows to the front in both the second living room and main bedroom. “This instant opening creates excellent ventilation and connection with the outside outlook. Mirrored window treatment ensures privacy,” Mr Behrendt said.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus12 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market12 hours agolast_img read more

Anfield door open to Gerrard

first_img “My decision is completely based on my wish to experience something different in my career and life and I also want to make sure that I have no regrets when my playing career is eventually over.” But while his advisors will begin the search for a new club, Gerrard insists he remains fully focused on the remainder of Liverpool’s season. A 2-2 draw at home to bottom side Leicester, in which Gerrard scored two penalties, left Liverpool seven points adrift of the top four and their minimum aim – they also have a two-legged Capital One Cup semi-final against Chelsea on the horizon – remains retaining a place in the Champions League. Despite reduced playing time this season as Rodgers tries to manage his captain, whom he admits cannot play three matches in a week to the level either of them would want, there will be no holding back from Gerrard. “One point that is important to make is that from now until the last kick of the last game of the season, I will be as fully committed to the team as I ever have been and giving everything I have to help Liverpool win games,” said the midfielder, who has won every domestic honour apart from the league despite coming agonisingly close last season. “I can’t thank Brendan (Rodgers), the owners and everyone at the club enough for how they’ve handled this and I am leaving on great terms. “Also, I would like to thank my team-mates and all the staff for their help and continued support. “My final message is for the people who make Liverpool Football Club the greatest in the world – the supporters. “It has been a privilege to represent you, as a player and as captain. “I have cherished every second of it and it is my sincere wish to finish this season and my Liverpool career on a high.” The midfielder, who turns 35 in May, is likely to seek a different challenge in Major League Soccer in the United States after confirming he would not be accepting the offer of a new contract to extend his stay beyond this season. It is wrench for the Huyton-born star to end an association with the club which began when he was eight years old but with former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier tipping him to become manager one day, there remains a glimmer of hope Gerrard could once again be an influential figure at Anfield. “This has been the toughest decision of my life and one which both me and my family have agonised over for a good deal of time,” Gerrard said in a statement. “Liverpool Football Club has been such a huge part of all our lives for so long and saying goodbye is going to be difficult but I feel it’s something that’s in the best interests of all involved, including my family and the club itself. “I’m going to carry on playing and although I can’t confirm at this stage where that will be, I can say it will be somewhere that means I won’t be playing for a competing club and will not therefore be lining up against Liverpool – that is something I could never contemplate. “It is a very special place to be part of. It is my sincere hope and wish that one day I can return to serve Liverpool again, in whatever capacity best helps the club.” Gerrard has followed the example set by close friend Jamie Carragher two years ago in going public with his decision early to prevent ongoing debate about whether he would stay or go. However, unlike Carragher – who retired aged 35 in 2013 and went straight into a job as a television pundit – he still feels there is plenty of life left in his legs to continue playing elsewhere. But with the former England captain ruling out joining a club which could ever face Liverpool in competition it puts America top of his likely destinations, although there is interest from the Middle East. “I am making the announcement now so that the manager and the team are not distracted by stories or speculation about my future,” he added. Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard will leave his boyhood club this summer with a heavy heart but he plans to return in a different role in the future. Press Associationlast_img read more

Look for Numerous NCAA Indoor All-Americans at the Drake Relays

first_imgDES MOINES – If the results of the NCAA Division I Indoor Championship meet this past weekend in Birmingham, Ala. are any indication, there will be numerous top-level performers at the Drake Relays presented by Hy-Vee this April.  Payton Otterdahl of North Dakota State claimed both the shot put and the weight throw titles at the indoor championship.  He became only the second male performer in NCAA history to accomplish that feat since Ohio State’s Dan Taylor in 2004.  Two weeks ago, Otterdahl set a new collegiate indoor record with a heave of 71-06.75 in the shot put at the Summit League Championship to break the record held by Ryan Crouser of Texas and Ryan Whiting of Arizona State. Other first team All-Americans on the men’s side include:,Chris Nilsen, South Dakota – Pole vault-2nd  Iowa State (F. Lagat, E. Fogltanz, R. Roomes, D. Curts) – Distance Medley Relay-5thKarayme Bartley, Iowa – 200 meters-6thChris Douglas, Iowa – 60-meter hurdles-6thIowa (C. Hofacker, K. Bartley, W. Lawrence, M. Harris) – 4x400m Relay-6thMichael Rhoads, Air Force – 800 meters-8thJa’Mari Ward, Missouri – Long Jump-8thFor women coming to the Blue Oval next month, several field event performances earned first team All-American honors including Erin Reese of Indiana State, Laulauga Tausaga of Iowa and Jordan McClendon of Missouri who were fourth, fifth and seventh respectively, in the weight throw.  Women’s first team All-American performances were:Stephanie Ahrens, UNO – High Jump-5thBriana Guillory, Iowa – 400 meters-6th Jaci Smith, Air Force – 5000 meters-6thSarah Feeny, Utah – 1500 meters-8th Bailey Retzlaff, North Dakota State – Shot put-8th  Be sure to secure your tickets for America’s Athletic Classic!  All-Session tickets are now on sale at draketix.com/drakerelays or call 515-271-3647.  For group ticket packages or more information, contact Dustin in the Drake Ticket Office at 515-271-4949. Print Friendly Versionlast_img read more