Reds interested in Balotelli

first_img Press Association Mario Balotelli has added credence to reports linking him with Liverpool by suggesting he is poised to leave AC Milan. Balotelli, quoted by Sky Italia, said: “It’s my last day at Milanello (club training ground).” Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has previously expressed admiration for Balotelli but denied any possibility of a transfer. Yet should discussions advance, the possibility arises that Balotelli could become a Liverpool player before they play his former club City in their next Barclays Premier League game on Monday. Balotelli enjoyed a whirlwind stint at City between 2010 and 2013, winning an FA Cup and Premier League title but gaining notoriety for his unpredictable off-field behaviour. Most famously, fireworks were set off from his bathroom window, he threw a dart at a youth-team player and pictures emerged of training-ground scrapes with team-mates and manager Roberto Mancini. Performances on the pitch, compelling at first, also became erratic and City offloaded the player to Milan, his boyhood club, for £19million in January last year. Rodgers has experience with difficult characters, of course, having coaxed the best out of Luis Suarez before his departure for Barcelona. Suarez’s disciplinary problems – including biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic on Rodgers’ watch, as well as a publicly stated desire to leave – caused headaches for Rodgers but the Uruguayan thrived on the pitch. He swept the board at the end of season awards and the £65-75million Liverpool eventually banked from Barca largely funded a squad-building spending spree this summer. But Rodgers remains in the market for a marquee striker to share the load with Daniel Sturridge, with Rickie Lambert currently the only frontline support. New signing Divock Origi has been allowed to return to Lille on loan while Fabio Borini, who had a successful spell at Sunderland last season, appears out of the picture. Monaco’s Radamel Falcao is another big name who has been linked with Anfield but Balotelli, who has been valued at around £17.5million, would be a more attainable target. He scored 16 times for Milan last season, as well as grabbing Italy’s winner in the World Cup opener against England in Manaus. Milan club administrator Adriano Galliani said on Wednesday they had yet to receive an offer from the Reds, but the situation appears to be advancing. Milan president Silvio Berlusconi, meanwhile, said previously he came close to selling Balotelli – who is under contract at the San Siro until June 2017 – to an unnamed English club before the World Cup. Milan said on their website on Thursday afternoon that Balotelli had bid farewell to his team-mates before leaving training. The statement on www.acmilan.it read: “Mario Balotelli left Milanello’s sporting centre at 13.30 (local time), after saying goodbye to his team-mates. “Before leaving the premises, the striker has said goodbye to members of Milan’s press office.” Press Association Sport understands Liverpool have declared their interest in the former Manchester City striker. The Italian club’s TV channel has reported that negotiations over Balotelli with Liverpool have begun, with any deal for the 24-year-old to be for a permanent transfer. last_img read more

Wellington Police Notes: Tuesday, May 6, 2014

first_imgWellington Police notes for Tuesday, May 06, 2014:•8:07 a.m. Officers took a report of a domestic family dispute by a known subject(s) in the 1000 block W. Shady Lane, Wellington.•9:23 a.m. Officers investigated a battery and criminal damage to property in the 2600 block N. A, Wellington.•9:34 a.m. Juvenile female, 15, Belle Plaine, was detained and referred to juvenile court.•9:49 a.m. Officers took a report of a suicide attempt of known subject in the 700 block N. C, Wellington.•12:14 p.m. Officers took a report of a child custody dispute by known subject(s) in the 2400 block N. A, Wellington.•12:41 p.m. Officers investigated a theft of a purse in the 100 block E. 15th, Wellington.•2:15 p.m. Courtesy Motor Vehicle was taken in the 300 block S. West Road, Wellington involving a vehicle operated by Daniel W. Prytherch,46, Wichita, Ks and a vehicle owned by the city of Wellington.•4:46 p.m. Officers investigated a theft of a cell phone in the 500 block W. 4th, Wellington.•4:59 p.m. Officers investigated a domestic battery by a known suspect in the 300 block E. 13th, Wellington.•6:09 p.m. Officers investigated a theft of a bicycle in the 1000 block N. Plum, Wellington.•8:56 p.m. Officers investigated a theft of currency in the 1100 block W. 8th, Wellington.last_img read more

Cowboys QB Dak Prescott signs $31.4M franchise tender

first_imgRIVERA: Adams wants trade to Cowboys, putting Jets in impossible situationIf no deal is worked out by then, then they will have to renegotiate next offseason or the quarterback will hit free agency, although the Cowboys could also choose to franchise him again. Dak Prescott signed his $31.4 million franchise tender with the Cowboys for the 2020 season on Monday, the team announced.Prescott, who was tagged back in March, and the Cowboys could still try to work out a multiyear contract extension. The two sides have until July 15 to work out a deal. The 26-year-old Prescott is entering his fifth season in the NFL and is coming off his best year, finishing second in the league with a career-high 4,902 passing yards and fourth in the league with a personal-best 30 touchdown throws.Since being drafted in the fourth round in 2016, Prescott has never missed a game, his 15,778 passing yards rank sixth in the NFL and his 97 touchdown passes are tied with Carson Wentz for ninth.Despite being one of the league’s top passers, the two-time Pro Bowler has made just $4.9 million through his first four seasons in the NFL.last_img read more

GECOM’s current employment approach must be remedied

first_imgDear Editor,The recently published Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) advertisements of vacancies for temporary and field staff, in the local media, makes for very interesting reading. These advertisements signal that GECOM will be employing: Presiding Officers; Assistant Presiding Officers; Poll Clerks; Ballot Clerks and Information Clerks. Significantly, the closing date for applications is stated as August 23, 2018.Not so long ago, very serious and significant questions were raised by public commentators and citizens at large in relation to the need to address a balancing of the GECOM staff composition in the interest of transparency. The many allegations against the GECOM Secretariat were neither insignificant nor shallow, and there is an urgent need to advance mechanisms that would realise much-needed public confidence.Coupled with the almost laughable and extremely short timelines of GECOM’s public notices, answers to legitimate queries have been complex, deficient, and very slow in coming.Under this imposed Chairman, the situation seems to be further denigrating into the abyss of lowness, as it continuously draws too many negative and impassioned comments from observers regarding the way they are handling and processing applications for employment at the Elections Commission.It would be recalled that, only recently, the Chairman, Justice (Rt’d) James Patterson, expressed satisfaction with the work of the secretariat’s staff, although nothing much was said about how he plans to deal with the many known problems created by the same composition in the past. He also publicly admitted the need for a more transparent and objective approach by providing employment statistics of the Commission, which confirmed a glaring ethnic imbalance. This was done when he brazenly rejected a request from another GECOM Commissioner for the issue to be examined.I am in receipt of genuine documents which confirm the blatantly discriminatory, vindictive, and biased measures already applied under the responsibility of this Chairman in processing of the applications for the recruitment of trainers.More than 100 applicants were denied opportunity to get selected in the process, although the other GECOM Commissioners were assured that all the applicants would be called for training and then be given an opportunity to write an examination for possible recruitment/employment. This, by itself, has tarnished the opportunity for the Chairman to indicate an objective measure of balance.Notably, Section 17 (2) of the Election Laws (Amendment) Act, No. 15 of 2000, provides that: ‘The Commission shall be responsible for appointing, on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Commission, such permanent and temporary staff to the offices of the Commission as are considered by the Commission to be necessary for the discharge of its functions under the Constitution and any written law.’From the foregoing, it is rational that:1. The Commission (and not the Secretariat) is thus directly responsible for the appointment of all staff, rather than being responsible for the appointment of senior officials who then ’usurp’ the responsibility for the appointment process of staff falling under their responsibility. In clear words, the responsibility for all appointments, both by law and the practical interpretation thereof by officials, rests with the Commissioners themselves.2. The Commission’s actions when appointing staff are governed by their general constitutional obligation under Section 162 (1) of the Constitution to: “act with impartiality and fairness in the execution of its duties”.It is therefore reasonable to conclude that the Commission is directly responsible for the recruitment and appointment of all staff, and needs to pursue this responsibility fairly and with maximum transparency and accountability.It cannot be denied that the absence of a public recruitment policy and the failure of GECOM to develop a set of objective staff selection criteria contribute towards a negative and biased view of the organisation. When made public, as it should be, these criteria will make the process less ambiguous, and provide an employment opportunity for all interested stakeholders.It will also realise an expanded pool of persons with the necessary experience to ensure the balance necessary and availability of the skill sets required. The current approach must be remedied, as it leads to a lack of consistency in the entire selection process.The measures employed under this GECOM must seek to make positive its current image by demonstrating transparency and fairness!Sincerely,Neil Kumarlast_img read more