Tesco records first quarterly sales growth in three years

first_imgSupermarket giant Tesco reported a £162m pre-tax profit for the year to 27 February, its first quarterly sales growth since 2013.UK like-for-like (LFL) sales at Tesco were up 0.9% in the fourth quarter, which the supermarket hailed as “significant progress”.This follows last year’s £6.3bn loss, the worst results in the supermarket’s history. It said in the update that a program of cost-cutting through store closures and a bumper Christmas had forged the comeback.Dave Lewis, chief executive, said the group had “regained competitiveness in the UK”.Last September, Tesco sold its South Korean business, Homeplus, for £4.2bn to help revitalise its UK business.Recent reports have suggested that the supermarket group is planning to sell off some of its other side businesses, including Euphorium Bakery, coffee shop chain Harris + Hoole, the Dobbies Garden Centres chain, and restaurant chain Giraffe, so that it can focus on the main supermarket business.Lewis said of today’s update: “Our balance sheet is stronger and we are making good progress in rebuilding trust in Tesco and our investment case.”Tesco’s shares fell 3% after the results this morning (13 April) to £190.2p.But despite the progress, Lewis warned the market remained “challenging and uncertain”, and said its continued investment in prices to remain competitive would slow its profit improvement “particularly in the first half”.Operating profitOperating profit before exceptional items rose slightly to £944m for the year, higher than the £936m that analysts had forecast.Total group sales were up 0.1% to £48.4bn.Lewis is trying to revive Tesco with a focus on lower prices, streamlined product ranges, better customer service and new simplified relationships with suppliers, the root cause of the accounting issues that are still the subject of a criminal investigation by Britain’s Serious Fraud Office.last_img read more

State of Emergency Declared For North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia as Florence Approaches.

first_imgAlong the coast, shelves of water and bread are empty at grocery stores and supermarkets. Generators, gas cans, and plywood are flying off the shelves at major retailers like Home Depot and Lowes. Currently located about 625 miles southeast of Bermuda, the storm has sustained winds of 115 mph and gusts of up to 140 mph. We’re in the peak of hurricane season. Make sure you have a plan in place. For the latest updates, follow the National Hurricane Center. Update: As of 1:11 p.m., Hurricane Florence is now a Category 4 storm with winds near 130 mph.As of 11 a.m. on September 10, Hurricane Florence is officially a Category 3 storm, poised to hit our region as a Category 4 by Thursday morning.Governers for South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia have declared a state of emergency as the storm sets its sights on the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic. The latest rendering (below) released by the National Hurricane Center shows Florence making landfall between South Carolina and North Carolina around 8 a.m. on Thursday morning.The first mandatory evacuations are in effect for the Outer Banks, a series of barrier islands off the coast of North Carolina. The latest statement released by the National Hurricane Center warns of life-threatening storm surge across the coastlines of South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia. Inland areas are expected to see a significant amount of rainfall, causing severe freshwater flooding in rivers and streams. Inland areas from Northern Georgia to Virginia could see as much as two-feet of rainfall. A Hurricane Watch is expected to be released tomorrow morning.last_img read more

UN opens probe into alleged child sexual exploitation in Haiti

first_img Share Share Sharing is caring! NewsRegional UN opens probe into alleged child sexual exploitation in Haiti by: – January 24, 2012 9 Views   no discussionscenter_img Share Tweet Map of Haiti. Photo credit: merriam-webster.comNEW YORK, USA — The United Nations announced on Monday that it is investigating two cases of sexual exploitation of children allegedly committed by its police personnel in Haiti.The first case involves UN Police (UNPOL) officers based in the capital, Port-au-Prince, while the second case involves one or more members of the Formed Police Unit (FPU) in Gonaives, UN spokesperson Martin Nesirky told reporters in New York. “The United Nations is outraged by these allegations and takes its responsibility to deal with them extremely seriously,” stated Nesirky. He added that the police contributing countries concerned have been informed. However, unlike cases involving UN military personnel, investigations into allegations involving UN police personnel fall under the responsibility of the UN. For this reason, a UN team was dispatched to Haiti on Saturday to investigate the allegations. The UN Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) stated in a news release that an investigation was immediately opened after the allegations were made. In addition, the UN Police Commissioner relieved the two suspects of their duties as a precaution to prevent them from having any contact with the population and to prevent any attempts to interfere with the investigation.“I want to reiterate my commitment to uphold the policy of zero tolerance of abuse by the staff of the Mission” said Mariano Fernández, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative and head of MINUSTAH. “Each member of the UN personnel, whether he or she is a civilian, member of the military or police, must observe a standard of exemplary conduct. This is a commitment that is required when joining the United Nations, anywhere in the world. We will continue to take the strictest measures to ensure, where appropriate, that the perpetrators of such acts are punished with the utmost severity,” he added.The UN has a strategy in place to assist victims of exploitation and sexual abuse. In Haiti, MINUSTAH implements it in coordination with other UN agencies and national stakeholders. This mechanism is meant to guarantee that the victims receive medical and psychological support as fast as possible.Caribbean News Nowlast_img read more

Team Grads 2004-05 captures Third Annual Bomber Alumni Basketball Tournament

first_imgTeam Grads 2004-05 dumped the LVR Senior Bombers 83-70 to clinch the title with a 3-0 record.Again the Joseph Brothers, David and Florian, and Braden Klein and Jake Phelan led the three-time champs.Team 2003, consisting of players from the 2000 BC Juvenile and 2001 BC Junior Boy’s Basketball Champions, finished tied for second with Team Rickaby. Both teams ended with 2-1 records.Team 2011 took fourth spot ahead of the LVR Bombers in the five-team tournament.Team Grads 2004-05consists of David Joseph, Florian Joseph, Braden Klein, Jake Phelan, Ryan Golik, Brendan Melanson, Ben Irving and Jordan Melanson. Team Grads 2004-05 made it a three-peat at the Third Annual Bomber Alumni Basketball Tournament Boxing Day at the L.V. Rogers Hangar.The tournament was in memory of longtime LVR Bomber coach Blair D’Andrea with proceeds of the event going to the Blair D’Andrea Alumni Scholarship Society fund supporting post-secondary athletes and grassroots basketball development in the West Kootenays. last_img read more

Bombers flying high after 4-0 mark at Chilliwack High School Girl’s Field Hockey Tournament

first_imgJunior Bombers hit .500 markThe LVR Junior Bombers concluded the Chilliwack tournament with a 1-1-1 mark.LVR opened with a 3-0 win over MtSlesse Middle School of Chilliwack. Jessica McLeod, Marisa Price and Mikyla Bergman each scored for the Bombers.LVR then lost 4-0 to J. Lloyd Crowe of Trail before scratching out a 1-1 tie against host G.W. Graham Juniors.“This was probably the best game the Juniors played this weekend,” the Bomber coach Bruce Walgren.Trailing 1-0 Zoe Baxter tucked the ball past the GW Graham keeper to earn a hard-fought tie for LVR.Walgren said Junior keeper Johanna Brochhagen was mentioned as one of the key players for the Junior Bombers by the umpires during the game. The L.V. Rogers Bombers finished high atop the standings at the Chilliwack High School Girl’s Field Hockey Tournament Thanksgiving weekend in the Fraser Valley.The Bombers completed the two-day affair with a 4-0 record.LVR defeated Maple Ridge (1-0), Sardis (3-0), Agassiz Eagles (3-0) and G.W. Graham (1-0) to complete the tournament with an unblemished mark.Shianne Michalchuck led the Bombers with five goals while Heather Potkins added a pair, including the winning goal in the narrow victory over G.W. Graham.Bomber senior Rylee Zondervan earned all four shut outs in goal for LVR.last_img read more