Pixabay NEW YORK — Anticipating a wave of mail-in voting this fall, New York state will now give voters a chance to correct missing signatures and other clerical errors so their absentee ballots can be counted, but the exact provisions haven’t yet been made public after last-minute negotiations between Gov. Andrew Cuomo and lawmakers.Cuomo said late Friday he’d sign, yet temporarily tweak, legislation that calls for notifying voters about such problems and provides for fixing them.Under the version that passed the Legislature last month, the voter would have seven business days to file a form to fix the problem after a notice was mailed, in many situations.Cuomo, a Democrat, said he agreed voters should be able to correct inadvertent mistakes that would otherwise invalidate their mail-in votes. But he said the Legislature’s plan came too close to the Nov. 3 presidential election, requiring a series of notifications and mailings that would overtax election officials. “New York must balance the right to vote with the need to ensure a timely, seamless and operationally sound election that leaves no doubt as to its outcome,” he wrote in a memo, saying he and lawmakers had agreed on “temporary modifications” that would give voters an opportunity to correct slip-ups “without relying so heavily on an already burdened mail system.”The original legislation will take effect after November, Cuomo’s memo said.His memo didn’t give further details on the temporary changes, saying they’d be made in an executive order and possibly in further legislation.A message was sent Saturday morning to Cuomo’s office seeking further details.The sponsor of the original legislation, Sen. Zellnor Myrie, didn’t immediately provide further information on the temporary changes. But Myrie said he was pleased that voters would get some opportunity to correct minor mistakes that have disqualified many ballots in the past.“By enacting these changes, we are ensuring the law stands firmly on the side of voters exercising their rights,” the Brooklyn Democrat said in a statement.The fast-moving developments came after Cuomo on Thursday signed legislation that eases mail-in voting by allowing voters to cite the coronavirus pandemic as a reason for seeking an absentee ballot this year.Voters were allowed to cast absentee ballots in the June primary because of virus concerns, and nearly 40% of votes were cast by mail — typically, it’s fewer than 10% in New York. The state’s relatively restrictive rules usually allow voters to request absentee ballots only if they fall into one of several categories, including absence from one’s county on Election Day.The state’s new legislation comes amid concerns about a potential resurgence this fall of the virus that causes COVID-19. At the same time, the state is keen to avoid a repeat of mailing delays and other issues that plagued the June primary, when an unknown number of voters didn’t get ballots until Election Day or after. But cost-cutting at the United States Postal Service has raised questions about its ability to handle a deluge of mail-in ballots.Election officials are expecting an even bigger flood of mail-in votes in November than for the June primary, after which results were delayed for six weeks.Some state election officials have been calling for additional funding and time to process ballots this November, and they have warned that the measure allowing voters to fix ballot mistakes would fuel more delays. Share:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
121SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr,John Pettit John Pettit is the Managing Editor for CUInsight.com. John manages the content on the site, including current news, editorial, press releases, jobs and events. He keeps the credit union … Web: www.cuinsight.com Details 1. Keep your changeI know this sounds like common sense, but whoever invented the piggy bank is a true genius. Putting money in a container and not touching it is a great way to save for something. You need an extra $100 bucks for an event next month? Start putting away your spare change now and by the time that day arrives, you’ll be ready to go. The best part is, you find the money without having to budget it.2. Take some surveysI know we’ve all probably heard this idea before, but most of us have never done it. Taking surveys online or down at the mall may not seem like the best way to spend an hour or two, but it can put a few extra bucks in your pocket. Check out http://www.makemoneytakingsurveys.com/ to find some easy ways to make $25-$50 bucks a day.3. Sell some stuffPeople love yard sales. It’s a great way to get something you need at a great price. That being said, you probably won’t get rich from having one, but you can definitely make $50-$100, depending on what you’re ready and willing to sell. Willing to part with something expensive? Put it on Craig’s List and see what happens.4. Mow some grassIf you have neighbors that don’t enjoy doing yard work, this one could really pay off. All you need is a push mower and some gas. Spend part of your Saturday mowing lawns and you could easily raise an extra hundred bucks every weekend. Nobody likes getting out in the heat of the summer, so take advantage.5. Deliver some stuffLike taking road trips? Did you know you can actually make money while you’re driving to your vacation destination? Check out Roadie, a service that will pay you to deliver packages on your way to where you’re going.
The Delaware County Sheriff’s Office announced the arrest of 41-year-old Asir Azmat of Franklin, N.Y. and charged them with 41-counts of violating New York’s animal fighting and cruelty laws. A breakdown of the charges is listed below: The Delaware County Sheriff’s Office was assisted by the Town of Franklin Clerk, Dog Control Officers from the towns of Walton, Hamden, Sidney and Franklin, the village of Sidney Dog Control Officer and volunteers from the Delaware County Humane Society. Azmat was also ticketed by the Town of Franklin Dog Control Officer and charged with 19 counts of harboring an unlicensed dog. According to the sheriff’s office, authorities found no evidence of dog fighting activity, however, they observed “traumatic scars and injuries to the canines along with equipment” that are consistent with dog-fighting activities. On Feb. 5, the sheriff’s office says officers discovered 20 unlicensed dogs confined in “deplorable conditions” at a location on County Highway 21 in the town of Franklin. They say the dogs were without proper food, water or care. Seven of the 20 dogs are now in the hands of the Broome County Humane Society. 21 counts of possessing dogs under circumstances evincing an intent that such animals engage in animal fightingone count owning or possessing animal fighting paraphernalia with the intent to engage or otherwise promote of facilitate animal fighting20 counts of over-driving, torturing and injuring animals – failure to provide proper sustenance The sheriff’s office notes that the charges are all misdeamenors. FRANKLIN, N.Y. (WBNG) — Authorities have arrested a man on multiple animal-cruelty related charges Wednesday.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
The Environment and Forestry Ministry’s Law Enforcement Directorate General charged Azeman under Law No. 18/2013 on the prevention and eradication of forest destruction, which carries a maximum punishment of 15 years’ imprisonment and a Rp 10 billion (US$681,700) fine.Separately, the directorate general’s Sumatra chapter charged Azeman under Law No. 32/2009 on environmental protection and management, which carries a maximum punishment of 10 years’ imprisonment and a Rp 10 billion fine.The ministry’s criminal law enforcement director, Yazid Nurhuda, said the panel of judges had sentenced Azeman to four years and six months’ imprisonment and ordered him to pay a Rp 3 billion fine, exceeding the charges sought by the public prosecutors.Yazid expressed appreciation for the panel’s “multidoor” decision, describing it as “very historic”, although he said the perpetrator should have been punished to the full extent of the law. For the first time in Indonesia, a court has sentenced an illegal miner to multiple crimes in an attempt to create a deterrent effect to curb environmental and forestry crimes.The Koba District Court of Central Bangka regency in Bangka Belitung Islands found Azeman, 44, guilty of two crimes for mining illegally in the protected forest area of Lubuk Besar in the regency.The panel of judges, which was presided over by Yuliana and included members Subroto and Magdalena Simanungkalit, found the defendant guilty of mining in a forest area without a permit and deliberately causing environmental damage. “Perpetrators of such crimes should be severely punished,” he said in a statement released on Tuesday, adding that investigators and relevant experts were gathering evidence on the involvement of other parties.The ministry’s law enforcement director general, Rasio Ridho Sani, said environmental and forest damages in Bangka Belitung Islands had been “very severe” and that the “multidoor” scheme was a breakthrough for combating environmental destruction.“The enforcement of multilayered criminal law needs to also be applied to the laundering of the profits from illegal mining,” Rasio said.“We are talking with the PPATK [Financial Transaction Reports and Analysis Center] and the Attorney General’s Office about civil suits against illegal mining actors,” he added.Topics :
Manchester United have been charged by the Football Association (FA) over misconduct of their players in the 2-0 defeat by runaway Premier League leaders Liverpool.United’s players surrounded referee Craig Pawson midway through the first-half on Sunday after Liverpool’s Virgil van Dijk challenged goalkeeper David de Gea. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Roberto Firmino subsequently scored, but his goal was ruled out following a VAR review of Van Dijk’s clash with the Spanish goalkeeper.De Gea dropped the ball which the defence failed to clear allowing Firmino to take advantage and score.“Manchester United FC has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E20(a),” read the FA statement.“It is alleged that the club failed to ensure its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion during the 26th minute of the Premier League fixture against Liverpool FC on Sunday (19/01/20).”A furious De Gea led United protests, rushing over to Pawson to vent his frustration. The Spaniard, who was booked for his actions, was joined by a number of his team-mates in surrounding Pawson. Read Also: Liverpool could be crowned EPL winners at Everton in MarchVan Dijk had already opened the scoring for Liverpool prior to the incident and Mohamed Salah added a second in time added on to extend Liverpool’s lead over Manchester City to 16 points – United trail by 30 points.United have until Thursday to respond to the charge.The incident, which happened in the 26th minute as Liverpool led 1-0, saw De Gea booked for his protests to Pawson. Promoted ContentWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better8 Shows That Overstayed Their Welcome9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooPink Pineapples Exist – In Case You Didn’t KnowThis 1982 Movie Is Better Than Any Other Blockbuster Up Today7 Train Stations In The World You Wish To Stay At LongerWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Couples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?6 Great Ancient Mysteries That Make China Worth Visiting
Mrs. Sue Lee (Benham) Christman, age 86, of Pleasant, Indiana, entered this life on November 30,1930, in Jefferson County, Indiana, the loving daughter of the late Corwin and Lilyan (Turner) Benham. She was raised in Saluda where she and her sister, Joan, and cousin Sherry (Benham) Ashley often played in the creeks that fed into the Ohio River. She graduated from Saluda High School in 1948 where she played on the girls basketball team. While on her lunch breaks, she often dipped ice cream to sell at her parents Saluda General Store that was across the street from the school. In early years, she worked at Ingal’s Drugstore in Madison, Indiana. She also worked as a dental assistant in Madison. Sue attended Georgetown College in Georgetown, Kentucky after high school. Additionally, she attended Indiana University. Sue was united in marriage on December 31, 1952, at Pleasant Grove United Methodist Church in Pleasant, Indiana, to Harold Ross “Mose” Christman. To this union was born a daughter, Leesa, and two sons, Randy and Roger to bless their home. Sue and Mose shared 46 years of marriage together until he passed away on February 26, 1999. Sue and Harold owned and operated a gas station in Orlando, Florida for two years in conjunction with friends, Ben and Pat Frazier. In 1955, Sue and Mose returned to Indiana to help run the family farm in Pleasant which she continued to operate after his death. Sue often cooked for “hands” that helped on the farm. Meals were served wherever needed – at picnic tables in the yard, in her home, or in the tobacco warehouses. She was the bookkeeper for the family farm, the Badger equipment business, and the silo construction business. In the early 70’s Sue trained to become an EMT for the Switzerland County Emergency Unit. She was very active in 4-H leadership and donated countless volunteer hours to the Jr. Leader program. She was an active member and often an officer of many community service organizations – Pleasant Elementary PTA, Moorefield Fire Department Auxiliary, Switzerland County Tourism Board, Swiss Villa, and Pleasant Cemetery Association. She held many of these offices until falling ill earlier this year. She was also a member of the Night Owls and North Madison Christian Church. In recent years, Sue operated Mama Sue’s Antiques located inside the Old School Café building in Pleasant, Indiana where she often greeted and visited with customers of the café. Sue enjoyed gardening, going to auctions, traveling, cooking, family get togethers, and adventures with friends. She loved the beach – especially Emerald Isle, North Carolina, where she often vacationed with family. She also enjoyed giving – gifts – her time, her energy, her heart and her love. She will be deeply missed by her family and friends, and her community. Sue passed away at 1:45 am, Wednesday, November 1, 2017, at the Hospice of South Central Indiana in Columbus, Indiana. Sue will be deeply missed by her daughter, Leesa Olds and her companion: Brian Gallagher of Morgantown, IN; her sons, Randy Christman and his wife: Kelly of Cary, NC and Roger Christman of Pleasant, IN; her grandchildren, Stacy, Kelsey, Mallory, Mandy, Daniel, Geoffrey, Abbie and Kinslea; her great-grandchildren, Christopher, Kadence, Brenin, Danilyn, Nolan, Henry and Brian and her faithful furry companion, Lady.She was preceded in death by her parents, Corwin and Lilyan (Turner) Benham; her husband of 46 years, Harold Ross “Mose” Christman, died February 26, 1999; her daughter-in-law, Rebecca M. Christman, died June 8, 2001 and her sister, Joan Davis.Funeral services will be conducted Sunday, November 5, 2017, at 2:00 pm, by Bro. Bob Hicks, at the Haskell & Morrison Funeral Home, 208 Ferry Street Vevay, Indiana 47043. Interment will follow in the Pleasant Cemetery, Pleasant, Indiana.Friends may call 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Saturday, November 4, 2017, at the Haskell & Morrison Funeral Home, 208 Ferry Street Vevay, Indiana 47043. Memorial contributions may be made to Switzerland County Emergency Response, Pleasant Cemetery Fund, Community Foundation of Switzerland County or to the Angela Hoskins Memorial Fund % CFSCI. Cards are available at the funeral home.
Southeastern, IN—The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 3 am until 10 am tonight through Saturday for the WRBI listening area. Snow is expected with total snow accumulations of one to two inches possible. Plan on slippery road conditions and please slow down and use caution while traveling.
Versailles, IN—Ripley County Department of Health announced today the 3rd death from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). The individual was an adult male, over the age of 60, from Ripley County, and was hospitalized for COVID-19 at Margaret Mary Health where he passed away. The Ripley County Health Department would like to continue to remind citizens that the best ways to protect yourself are to wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, avoid touching your face with unwashed hands, avoid close contact with people who are sick, stay home when you’re sick, cover your cough or sneeze and clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19. You should only wear a mask if a healthcare professional recommends it. A facemask should be used by people who have COVID-19 and are showing symptoms to protect others from the risk of infection.Visit the Indiana State Department of Health’s COVID-19 website at
Our Sports ReporterGUWAHATI: 11th editions of the Bodousa Cup Football tournament will kick off on September 22. Altogether 32 teams will participate in the tournament which will be held in eight venues.Addressing a media gathering here today the president of Bodousa Sports Club Arunjyoti Moran said that this year they were inviting four teams from abroad along with two each from I League and ISL. “Saif Sporting Club from Bangladesh and Shyachal Youth Club from Nepal have confirmed their participation while two others from the neighbouring countries will take part in the 14-day tournament. Among others, Jamshedpur FC of ISL and Gokulam Kerala FC which plays in the I League have confirmed their participation in the tournament,” said Maran.Among the eight venues six are already selected and these are Tinsukia, Duliajan, Digboi, Diphu, Margherita and Nalbari. Two remaining venues would be finalized soon.Maran added: Champion team will get Rs 2 lakh and runners up will be richer by Rs 1 lakh. There would be cash award for third and fourth place teams also and the amounts are Rs 50 thousand and Rs 25 thousand respectively.“We have also decided to award cash prizes in different individual categories which included player of the tournament, player of the final, highest scorer and the best goal keeper. All will receive Rs 5 thousand each,” said Moran.Also Read: 4th Assam Rifles Invitational Football Tournament: Lawmali SC face Assam Rifles in final